British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest_chris

1891 coin

Guest Guest_chris

hi I have an old coin collection that my brother gave me to pay off a debt he had to me, 10 years ago. I am trying to find out the what where and when of these coins so I can sell them. There is one in particular that I am trying to find info about. It is a coin from 1891. I don't know where it is from or the demonination of it as there is nothig of that sort on it. I don't know much about coins but I will do my best to describe it.

It is a dark brown (Walnut) coloured coin that is the size of a Canadian/American 1 cent coin. On one side it has a picture of Queen Victoria (I assume) with the writting "Victoria D: G: BRITT:REG:F:D:" written around the edge of it. On the other side it has a picture of what looks like a person sitting on a wheel, holding a septar of some kind. Under the picture it says "1891" and around the top of the picture it says "F A R 1 H I N G". It is in a cardboard and plastic holder so I can't be sure of the edging on it but it looks like a smooth round edge.

That is the best I can do to describe it. If you have any ideas of any information on this coin, please e-mail me. I have searched several books and websites to find out where this coin is from and it's value with no luck.

Thank you,

Chris

keepercoach3@yahoo.ca

Guest Guest_Chris

I just wanted to add that the picture of the person sitting down is the same as the one on the 1834 Lepton. Lion/Britannia coin....everything else is different than tht coin.

Guest Sue

Did u get a reply?

I live in the Uk

Your coin is a Farthing (half of a half-penny)

The queen is Victoria

The other side is Britannia

no clue as to value (i'm not a coin collector) but I think there were a lot of them

Dear Chris,

Yes indeed it is a Farthing and 1891 is not a hugely rare date and the value will depend on its condition. It a worn circulated condition (which I would guess describes it as you were unable to read the 'H' properly) it probably wouldn't be desired by any serious collectors.

The picture below is how it would have looked when new and is priced currently at GBP40.00 which shows how the condition factor really dictates the price, not the age.

(Thanks for your help Sue, please become a member and help me out in here!)

Chris Perkins

www.predecimal.com

post-17-1062511557_thumb.jpg

And sorry for taking ages to reply too. I used the name Guest_Chris by mistake myself once or twice and didn't notice your message was a new one not by me!

Chris

www.predecimal.com