British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Bronze & Copper Collector

Help on Identifying a wrong planchet

Here's hoping that someone can help me out....

I have a 1967 penny struck on a 6.3 gram planchet... smaller than a penny planchet and larger than a half penny planchet

It appears to be 28-29 mm in diameter.... also slightly thinner (maybe 3/4 normal ??)

See attached scans.... one each of obverse & reverse... the 3rd is of a normal penny on the bottom, this coin in the middle, and a normal half penny on top....

I would assume that this coin was struck on a planchet intended for a foreign coin that was being struck at the Royal Mint.... Does anyone have any ideas as to what this planchet was originally intended for????

Thanks

post-443-1156571414_thumb.jpg post-443-1156571439_thumb.jpg post-443-1156571452_thumb.jpg

Were you or anyone else ever able to identify the planchet on which this coin was struck?

Were you or anyone else ever able to identify the planchet on which this coin was struck?

Not as of yet.....

several knowledgeable collectors and dealers have rsuggested that I contact the Royal Mint. I have emailed them last week, I have return receipt that it was read, but have hod no response of any sort as yet.....

Not as of yet.....

several knowledgeable collectors and dealers have rsuggested that I contact the Royal Mint. I have emailed them last week, I have return receipt that it was read, but have hod no response of any sort as yet.....

I emailed the Royal Mint months ago to ask them about a 1832 die trial farthing I have, but still have not heard from them! Chris also said they took a year to inspect and return a coin he sent in to them. I know we should be greatfull for there free knowledge, but why have a contact email on your website if you aren't going to reply to peoples emails?

I think it's basically just one bloke (Dr K Clancy) that deals with odd enquiries. He's a member of the BNS, so the easiest way to catch him might be to join and then go to a main metting that he has a history of attending. Threaten to de-face a coin of the realm until he has a look at your questionable coin!

I have a pic of him somewhere if anyone wants to try it.

The only time I have emailed the Royal Mint which was quite recently Mr Clancy replied within a couple of days.

I have a return receipt for my email.... It was read on August 30..... No Acknowledgement however..

Let's see how long it takes to receive a reply... If I receive any at all....

I just received an email from the Royal Mint (Kevin Clancy as predicted)....

It reads as follows:

From the specifications you give, it is possible that your coin was struck on a blank intended for a Malawi penny. To be absolutely sure, however, we would need to see the coin itself and if you would care to send it to me at the address below I will be glad to arrange for it to be examined and returned to you together with a report of our findings.

My next question is: How much time does something like this usually take, and do they really return the coin???

Thanks

I just received an email from the Royal Mint (Kevin Clancy as predicted)....

It reads as follows:

From the specifications you give, it is possible that your coin was struck on a blank intended for a Malawi penny. To be absolutely sure, however, we would need to see the coin itself and if you would care to send it to me at the address below I will be glad to arrange for it to be examined and returned to you together with a report of our findings.

My next question is: How much time does something like this usually take, and do they really return the coin???

Thanks

Up to 6 months and yes in that order