British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mark_I'm_a_Guest

Identification of a hammered medieval coin

Guest Mark_I'm_a_Guest

Yesterday, whilst out detecting I found this hammered silver coin. If it had been copper alloy I would have presumed it was a token, but being made out of silver I am stuck for an identification.

It looks a tiny bit like a Spanish Reale...

Ani ideas anyone?

CHEERS

Mark

post-0-1154953787_thumb.jpg

post-0-1154953821_thumb.jpg

I make it

Spain Ferdinand 1455 Half real

In circulation in England along with Flemish and French hammered coins. I assume the vast majority of the population was not too fussy about their coins, as long as they were silver! :unsure:

Edited by Geordie582

Guest Guest_Mark_I'm_a_Guest

Wow, fantastically fast response. Thanks for the positive ID, now I'll know what to call it tonight at the club meet.

Regards, thanks once again,

Mark

I make it

Spain Ferdinand 1455 Half real

In circulation in England along with Flemish and French hammered coins. I assume the vast majority of the population was not too fussy about their coins, as long as they were silver! :unsure:

Flemish coins would come as no surprise to me from this period. Bearing in mind the English wool trade was the staple export commerce of England during the period and the place we usually dealt with was Antwerp.

France wouldn't come as much of a surprise either because the mid-fifteenth century was the back end of the Hundred Years war, and we still held Calais (until 1558), and thus French coinage would enevitably find it's way in.

Spanish coinage surprises me a little.

Where did you find it Mark? (Near a port/sea town?) Which is what i'd expect. Or somewhere on a trade route. Obviously if you say somewhere landlocked like i dunno Leicester i'd be even more surprised.

I have the same Spanish coin from a batch of detector finds bought on ebay (I wanted one particular coin) They were mostly in poor condition and the half real very worn. Also in the batch was a fragment of a Venetian coin. This is why I said that Medieval populace couldn't have been too fussy about the origin of their currency. Having said that, I was reading on a coin website (can't remember which!) about the money handed over during a card game in one of the Sharpe episodes and the information was that currency at the time was accepted from any country - people were still not fussy as to origin! :huh:

Edited by Geordie582