British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Oli

Debating

Well two weeks ago I went down with my debating society teacher and three team-mates to take part in the E.S.U (English Speaking Union) debating competition. We had two teams, Clitheroe Royal Grammar School A&B

The first debate was "This House would disband NATO" and me and my team-mate got put in 2nd Opposition (consult diagram). It was a close match and we were against Derby Grammar school. Fortunately, however, we won.

The second debate was "This House would ban Animal Testing" and we were put in 1st Proposition, the easiest of the lot. We romped home on that one against this revolting public school team who wore ghastly waistcoats. In the rules for this competition, it stated that electronic devices were not to be used at all in the competition. Halfway through my teamate's speech, a girl was tapping away on her mobile phone. I was angry at this and glared at her, but to no avail. SO, I plucked up the courage and made a Point of Order (when someone is breaking the rules/behaving crudely) to the Chairman and declared her a cheater. The Point was upheld and they were disqualified (I'm so evil). By this time, our team was the highest-ranked out of all of them.

The third debate, which was the quarter-finals one was "This House would lower the age of Voting to 14". Unfortunately, we got put in 2nd Opposition AGAIN. We came second in that one but had enough points to advance to the semis. The semi-final dwbate was "This house would require girls under 16 to gain parental consent before having an abortion". Amazingly, we were in 2nd Opposition again. This time however, we lost. BUT, by getting through to the semi-finals, we secured our team a place in the next round, which is to be held at Oxford University in April.

post-28-1077218481_thumb.jpg

Don't you boys go out with girls, try to pass off laxitive chocolate to your mates and worry about your hair?

It doesn't matter to me what you do! Very well done and do keep us posted. With what you're learning, you soon won't need to borrow online articles for your posts here ;)