British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Chris Perkins

Negative ebay feedback!

I got a neg (user id chrisperkins)!

Bloody stupid woman. I received a letter with a cheque for the England's Striking History ebook. In it, she specified a postal address for it to be sent to, so I emailed and explained it was an ebook and that other people sometimes make the same error (because most people are as thick as too short planks, but I didn't write that of course) not to worry though, I specified the download link and that was that.

Without a reply or any communication I get a neg for it not being as described! Really it should have been me leaving her a neg for not reading it as described and being of sub-intelligence.

Get this though.....I got her (mobile) phone number from ebay and gave her a ring. I asked politely if she was 'Sharron' (with 2 R's) and I told her who I was and that I was dissapointed with the neg and if she could tell me exactly why it was not as described. She told me to wait a moment and I could hear her talking to someone. Then the phone went dead and when I try to call again, it's switched off!

How infuriating. This is a new product, I've only sold about 5, and it doesn't look good if someone already thinks it warrants a neg. What a bloody stupid uncommunicative cow. I've emailed her asking - still politely of course - if she would be able to remove the neg. She hasn't even paid anything as I still have the cheque here!

If that fails, she's only in Ipswich and I can pay her a visit much easier than she could pay me a visit! The words 'window' and 'brick' come to mind, but I'm far too sensible for any nastiness like that. Bloody stupid woman.

Don't worry about it Chris. It's easy to get negative feedback. All you have to do is give a straightforward, honest and accurate explanation of what is wrong and many egos get bruised. God, I wish I was infallible like them.

You're "reply" on ebay to her negative feedback clearly expains what transpired. I wouldn't worry about it further.

Thanks both of you.

I know one shouldn't loose sleep over suchlike, but when you try purposefully to keep squeeky clean and then imbeciles like Sharron come along, it can ruin your hour.

Potentially this is a good starting point for a thread on negative feedback experiences. Would that be acceptable given that you would likely only hear one side of the story - Chris?

Yes, of course! We're all reasonable people. And none of the regulars here are imbeciles, so fire away, let's hear about unfair negative feedback experiences (not those where negligence of any kind was involved).

I've had negs from 3 people.

The first was a woman in Southend (ebay id canary123pink) who sold me an 1887 crown in really good condition. Unfortunately when it arrived I discovered it had been silvered and put it to her that it was not at all collectable, potentially could be a dud or just a very nice coin defaced. First reply was that she was a person who had been in the antiques trade for 30 years and would not sell a silvered coin unless described as such, but if I could get a member of the BNTA or a qualified antiques dealer (do they exist?) she would give a refund.

Excellent I thought and next day conveyed the news to her that Mark Rasmussen (who had called in that afternoon and who as a former director of Spink and chairman of the BNTA fitted the requirements adequately) was willing to vouch for it being silvered. At this point, all question of a refund was rejected, so negative feedback was the only resort.

Thankfully she is now retired from business.

Second was from a Mr T Barker (aka. isitmeyourlookingfor (sic)). I had the temerity to leave a neutral on balance for diabolical grading, but a credit for the refund. I purchased a William 3rd 1st bust 'high grade shilling' off him which in the picture posted resembled the second from the left, but no clues as to which is his high grade piece. I pointed out that VF was the lowest you could reasonably accept as high grade and emailed a scan of his and my pieces in VF, gVF or a bit better and EF+ for comparison, pointing out that his was somewhat lacking in quality. For spoiling his 100% positive feedback, he left me a neg. I had to chop off the higher grade pieces to post the image.

Third was from Mr P Hentall who sold an 1860 1/2d 1*+A that was about 20% epoxy resin repair kit and another worn unc. Said he knew nothing about coins yet professed to grade them accurately and Phil's coins and curios had over 500 coins and 60 curios. Everything was contradictory. I just hate being taken for a ride. My neg received was a tit for tat.

post-381-1154290188_thumb.jpg

Maybe its me....I've never negatived (or been negged)...Buyer beware.....Caveat Emptor.

I received one retaliatory negative from niclet. He won one of my pieces and told me that he would be sending payment later due to computer problems.

4 weeks later I saw him furiously bidding on coins left and right. Hmm, no computer? So I reinvoiced him. No payment. I left him a negative 34 days after he won the piece for nonpayment.

Immediately, he retailated, with a gem of a comment "With no computer to receive e-mails...what can I do?...what a moron!" He couldn't even bother to open his invoice in MyEbay.

I also received a neutral from a seller who realized his mistake and sent me an apology coin.

Negatives suck, especially when unwarranted, but there is life after them.

I got a retaliatory negative from a buyer, they did not ever pay - but claimed to pay. What was ironic and rather interesting was that when I notified eBay of the non paying bidder issue, their account got suspended and to get it unsuspended they would have to have paid me etc. I refused. At that point since the jerk negged me I let them sit in suspension for 30 days and not get to bid on more junque.