British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

This is a question for Chris, but if anyone else knows the answer please don't be shy. In CCGB 2006 there is a note regarding the 1937 3d. It would appear that there are two varieties which depend on the spacing of the word Three to the rim. Is there any more information about this i.e. discription of how the distinguish them apart or better still pictures the the two types.

Many thanks

Gary

Good question.

It's not in Peck as your probably know.

I think this is something that I copied over from the previous editions, so I'm not sure what the old authors source was. Has anyone got a pre 2005 CCGB handy?

Good question.

It's not in Peck as your probably know.

I think this is something that I copied over from the previous editions, so I'm not sure what the old authors source was. Has anyone got a pre 2005 CCGB handy?

Jumped into the "wayback machine" and pulled out the 1999 CCGB for this tidbit of info:

1937 - Two different spacings from rim of word THREE noted :

---Rev. A = large gap

---Rev. B - small gap

It would seem logical that the type A was the first production run, and the B would be the second production run, which could possibly be continued into later years, and thus everything from 1938 on should hypothetically be "small gap".