British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi can anyone help me with this token or replica?

It appears to be gold and 20mm diameter.

I can also make out hallmarks below the ship but they are small.

post-665-1152633275_thumb.jpg

Hi can anyone help me with this token or replica?

It appears to be gold and 20mm diameter.

I can also make out hallmarks below the ship but they are small.

It appears to be a modern concoction based on the touchpieces issued during the reign of Charles II for the touching ceremony for sufferers of the "King's Evil" or scrofula. It combines the basic features of St. Michael piercing the dragon found on the reverse of Peck 496 (with rearranged legend, missing the star at the base and also of smaller diameter) together with the reverse of Peck 494 (again with rearranged legend and space left for the hallmarks). These were produced in various base metals and combinations of the same. Historically they used hammered gold coins of various denominations, which is why you get so many pierced angels, nobles etc. but these were later replaced by the use of tokens. A few examples of these are pictured in the first section of the Nicholson collection if you want to see what they look like.

Thanks Rob. Great information. It was puzzling me for some time.

It's a repro Touchpiece of Charles II made by Johnson Matthey (bullion dealers) in the 1970s - I have one myself which I carry around as a conversation piece. Worth bullion value but more interesting as a souvenier.

Here is an authentic touch piece from the reign of James VIII

post-347-1152681372_thumb.jpg

That is why I love this website, so many knowledgeable collectors. Thank you