British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian L

Cleaning Coins ?1806

Guest Brian L

I have found an 1806 penny which I assume is George 111.

Is there any way to clean this coin or is it just not done?

It's not done, I'm afraid. At most you could perhaps lightly brush it with a dry tooth brush to remove loose dirt.

Water does copper no good in the long run, and polish will make it look awful.

And yes, it is Geroge III, and should be 34mm to be a penny.

Is there any way to clean this coin

*foams at mouth*

Guest Brian L

Obviously I know nothing about coins but I was suprised how little such a coin which is dated 1806 is worth. I think that I saw it valued at less than £1.00

Obviously I know nothing about coins but I was suprised how little such a coin which is dated 1806 is worth. I think that I saw it valued at less than £1.00

If it's very worn so that the writing/legends are hard to read, and the main details are also showing wear then i think you'd be looking at about £2.00 max, maybe a tad more, but nothing over a fiver.

If the writing legends are practically all gone then a £1.00 is about right.

Now if you were to clean it you'd be lucky to get 50 pence.

Thus definately don't clean it, and you might as well hold onto it, call it a good look charm or a conversational piece, or even a coin you keep for flipping. :rolleyes:

You never knew something almost 200 years old could be bought so cheap!

That's what I have to battle all the time! Whenever I offer a fair price for some old coins, the owner will often exclaim...'But they're 200 years old they must be worth a fortune!'

Nooooooooooo, you can get 400BC greek coins for £30!

People associate age with value, but for something made 100-1000 years ago in very large quantities, and that no one has ever thrown away, that just isn't the case. At least not with the worn ones. Only the very best 5% are really collectable.