British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Gary

1861 Halfpenny, help wanted

Does anyone have an example of this coin or an 1860 F268A (Rev D)?

If yes, would you be kind enough to have a look to see if the 6 in the date is recut over another 6?

I´ll let you know why latter.

Thanks, Gary

I have three examples of the 1861 7+D F278, one of which appears to have a re-cut 6 in the date - it also has the first 1 of the date over a lower 1. One of the others has the last 1 of the date over a lower 1. The 3rd coin has the R of REG over another R.

My 1860 F268A has no evidence of any recutting of any letter or date.

best regards......Mal

Neither of my 2 F-268A's appear to have a recut 6.....

However 1 of my 4 F-278's have a recut 6 as well as a specimen that I sold awhile back.....

and 2 of them appear to have a stub of a previous 1 protruding beneath the last 1 ...

see scans...

None appear to have a recut R though..... nor a first 1/1

post-443-1152424245_thumb.jpg

post-443-1152424260_thumb.jpg

Guest Guest

On the subject of the F268A, I believe its rarity was somewhat over-rated my Michael Freeman at R19. Given that it has a suffix to its number, and it doesn't appear in the 1970 edition of his work, he probably found a specimen and rated it on that basis. Given that I have 1 know of the whereabouts of another 2 and more are mentioned above, I would suggest that R17 is probably a better rating.

Malpost-0-1152439671_thumb.jpg

Ok, lets see if we can sum this up.

Rev D

I have 2 examples, both of which have the 6 recut however they are not from the same die. One being recut slightly lower and too the left the other being higher and too the left. Both are different to the 6 o 6 shown by "Bronze & Copper Collector" above. This one seems to be a smaller 6 over a lower larger 6.

• Recut 6 - x4, at least 3 Dies or the same die recut several times (unlikely?)
  • Recut 6 - with 1st 1 over 1 x1
  • Last 1 over 1 x3
  • Normal x3 (all F268A, 1860)

Total Rev D´s listed above, 11.

Obv 7 (Coupled with Rev D)

• R of REG recut x1
  • BRITT REG F D and colons recut x1
  • RE of REG recut x1
  • Normal x1 (F268A, 1860)
  • and 7 with no mention of alterations.

Obv 7 (Coupled with other Rev Dies)

• B over R in BRITT
  • R over B in BRITT
  • 1st T over much higher T in BRITT

Ok, I think I have got that about right. Anyone wish to add to the list?

The reason I started this was I thought that maybe the recut 6 was a identification mark for Rev D on 1861 halfpennies, however 3 have been reported with a normal 6`s so thats my theory gone out of the window. However it seems that that both Rev D and Obv 7 were subject to a lot of repair work which could be understood in the case of Obv 7 as this was the main Obv Die for the 1861 Halfpenny. The Rev D die however, if the rarity ratings can be believed (questionable), is quite rare which suggests it was not in use for long, the extensive repair work carried out on this die suggests, to me, otherwise........

Have a good one, Gary

post-439-1152451912_thumb.jpg

post-439-1152451987_thumb.jpg