British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Geordie582

"Maundy Money"?

Can we honestly say that this issue includes Maundy money when it has not been issued to the 'poor' at the ceremony?

The Majestic 2006 Royal Mint Silver Proof Coin Collection

http://www.westminstercollection.com/entry....aspx?Id=maundy

Can we honestly say that this issue includes Maundy money when it has not been issued to the 'poor' at the ceremony?

I don't know since there have been several years where maundy money have been included in proof sets (1902, 1911, 1937, 2000?? for instance), but the 2006 issue could be one of the least valuable in EIIR's reign.

Edited by wybrit

Footnote: £275 plus £3.50 p/p is an obscene amount of money to pay for that set.

That's what Westminster Collection are all about, in my opinion.

Hyping up anything the can lay their hands on in enough quantity and selling it to the unexpecting for too much money.

Apparently before 1909 "anybody could order set of Maundy Money from a bank, however in 1908, King Edward VII ordered that they should only be supplied to their recipients and people connected with the service, so coins dated 1909 and later are considerably scarcer than those which preceded them"

Also "under a special privilege granted by Queen Elizabeth I, students in the youngest class of Westminster School also received Maundy coins, but this was discontinued in the 1970s."

So its not just recently where it has not just been issued to the 'poor' at the ceremony...

(both citations are from Wikipedia)

BTW I also thought this point was interesting:

"The original composition of the coins was Sterling (0.925) silver. In common with all circulating British silver coins, the fineness was reduced to 0.500 in 1921 [weren't most reduced in 1920? - Paul]. In 1947, silver was removed from all circulating British coins in favour of cupronickel, but it was felt to be inappropriate to strike Maundy money in such debased metal, so unusually the fineness was restored to 0.925, where it remains to the present day."

So Maundy Money was only debased to 0.500 silver from 1921-1946, I don't know about anyone else, but I've got a thing about not collecting silver coinage that's less than 0.925 silver (0.900 for foreign coins), so usually avoid anything after 1920, I'd assumed Maundy Money had stayed debased, but apparently not. Would now quite like to obtain a Maundy set for the year of my birth (1969), may have to look into this...

Paul