British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Gary

Victoria Bronze Farthings.

According to Freeman the Obv 4 die was only used at the Heaton Mint in 1874.

On this Die, the lower colon Dot after F:D: is only half a dot.

Is this a distinguishing mark for this Obv Die?

I have the second edition (1985) of Freemans book in which F542 is listed as "No specimen known", does anyone know what the F542 was listed as in the 1970 Edition?

Cheers,

Gary

post-439-1150900975_thumb.jpg

F-542 = 1880 5 & D Bronze Proof----- R-19 1970 Edition......

According to Freeman the Obv 4 die was only used at the Heaton Mint in 1874.

On this Die, the lower colon Dot after F:D: is only half a dot.

Is this a distinguishing mark for this Obv Die?

I have the second edition (1985) of Freemans book in which F542 is listed as "No specimen known", does anyone know what the F542 was listed as in the 1970 Edition?

Cheers,

Gary

Both my F-525 and F-527 appear to exhibit this feature.......

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

I have two 1875H, both with 4 Berries (F532), one with complete colon dot and one with half a dot.

Opinions?

Maybe the Obv 4 Die was not just used for the 1874H Farthing.

Guest Mal Lewendon

There is an 1880 variety that Freeman missed. It is Obverse 5 (1/2 colon dot) + Reverse C (concave abdomen on Britannia. I have a proof-like example of this coin and know of 3 others.

Malpost-0-1152346946_thumb.jpg

There is an 1880 variety that Freeman missed. It is Obverse 5 (1/2 colon dot) + Reverse C (concave abdomen on Britannia. I have a proof-like example of this coin and know of 3 others.

Mal

Hi Mal,

the Obv with the half colon dot first seems to appear in 1874 and the youngest coin that I have with the half colon is an 1881 F544.

Of the 7 examples dated 1879 (listed as only being obv 5) that I have to hand, 3 are with complete colon dots and 4 with the half colon dot ( Freemans illustration of Obv 5 is with full colon dot).

I have-

1875H both half and full colon dot.

1876H half colon

1880 F541 Half colon dot

1881 F544 Half colon dot

Using the 1879 farthings, I have compared the two types and can find no significant difference in the design. On the half dot type, the colon dots in general seem to be bolder and on the 1879`s the G of REG does not show the G being over another letter where as the full colon dot has the G over ?

Can anyone confirm the exsistance of both types for years 1874-1881 or even outside this date range?

Cheers, Gary

and the half colon dot type.

post-439-1152376352_thumb.jpg

post-439-1152376391_thumb.jpg

post-439-1152376419_thumb.jpg

post-439-1152376509_thumb.jpg