British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest norman andrews

fourpenny one

Guest norman andrews

Dear sir, I came to your page looking for a set of silver scales and became fascinated by all the topics under discussion. Incidently (regarding the silly 2p stories) David Dickenson was convicted of a criminal offence, has never made a secret of it, served his time for it, apologised in public for it, and still seems to have to suffer for it. There are a lot of tiny minded people about who would do well to remember that, there but for fortune ........ !

However I digress. I have a small coin, a fourpenny piece, dated 1840 and showing the young Victoria ( I assume ) on the reverse side to the date. As an antiques dealer who doesn't know it all, What is it ?

Ta muchly in advance, like the pages immensley.

Dear Norman,

Thanks very much for the compliments, but I cannot of course take all the credit for the various contributions within the forum.

I must admit I have nothing against David Dickenson, I think he has a great personality (in small doses perhaps!) and I love his bow ties.

Your small coin is probably a Britannia groat, so called to distinguish it from the manudy type groat which was bigger, doesn't have Britannia on the reverse and didn't normally circulate. It is indeed a young Victoria on the obverse.

Values start at £3.00 for a Fine condition 1840 groat and of course rise as the condition gets closer to uncirculated. Less than fine and it will just be worth 10p or so for silver content.

I'd like to buy it, people like those!

However I digress. I have a small coin, a fourpenny piece, dated 1840 and showing the young Victoria ( I assume ) on the reverse side to the date. As an antiques dealer who doesn't know it all, What is it ?

Ta muchly in advance, like the pages immensley.

Not really my area this; so without checking the catalogue...

Sounds like a groat to me, wouldn't happen to have Britannia (a la 50p) on the reverse would it?

Groats were circulating 4d coins back in the 19th century, from about 1836-1850s then the silver threepence took over.

If the reverse is a 4 with a wreath round then it's a maundy 4d.

Regards

Sylvester.