British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi I was just wondering if anyone knows much about Victorian Penny’s.

I have just bought this coin and I assume it is the normal 1879 large date ref. Spink 3954 as apposed to the incuse one which is not as rare? If anyone could help I would be very great full.

post-665-1149532077_thumb.jpg

It's hard to be sure without seeing the coin in hand, but I assume that the 'raised lines' refers to the way the wreath leaf veins are rendered.

That would make it obverse 8, reverse J (Freeman 96, Peck 1714), not as rare as the small date (obv 9, rev K), but rarer than the incuse-lined leaves (obv 9, rev J).

Nice coin :)

It's hard to be sure without seeing the coin in hand, but I assume that the 'raised lines' refers to the way the wreath leaf veins are rendered.

That would make it obverse 8, reverse J (Freeman 96, Peck 1714), not as rare as the small date (obv 9, rev K), but rarer than the incuse-lined leaves (obv 9, rev J).

Nice coin :)

Thanks Custard1966 you have been very helpfull. I have been on the NGC website and looked at the census. The only two grades they have for this year are 1 my coin with raised lines and 3 others with incuse lines. So they must be refering to the wreath.

Yes, it's a Freeman 96. Often referred to as the 'raised lines' variety but I actually find it easier to identify by the thinner lettering on the obverse:

1879-8J.jpg

vs

1879-9J.jpg

Obverse 9 lettering being slightly thicker and much more deeply cut. This is a fairly obvious difference on all but the lowest grade coins.

Thanks guyincog that's very interesting, and quite obvious to see in your pictures.

Guest Jam

I have a similar 1879 penny NGC 1914494-173, which is graded 63 RB but the lustre is mottled. Also the slab has numerous scratches and it is very difficult to photograph the coin. My best efforts have been attached with this message. Would someone clarify if this is an obverse 8? The coin holder states ‘raised lines’ which I know is a pretty rare and I just want to be sure. I have had no luck getting a close-up of the veins but I heard that the nostril can be enough for someone who knows pennies well enough.

DSC_0317.JPG

Difficult to tell because it's such a poor photo, but I'm leaning more towards obverse 9, rather than 8. From Freeman's description, the groove representing the nostril on obverse 9, does not curve down towards the cheek as much as previously, and that seems to be the case with yours, as far as I can tell. Although to be really sure, you'd need to jailbreak from the slab and take a better pic. Can't be definite.    

• Like 1

For some reason I cant see the pics Guyincog posted, but here are my two 1879 obverses. The difference in leaf veins, nostrils and re-engraved hair above the ear are obvious I think. I really wouldn't want to be definite from the photos, but it should be easy to tell with the coin in hand. The hair above the ear in Hussolo's photos does suggest to me it might have been re-engraved though?

Jerry

Obv 8.jpg

Obv 9.jpg

• Like 4

On 5 June 2006 at 10:17 PM, guyincog said:

Yes, it's a Freeman 96. Often referred to as the 'raised lines' variety but I actually find it easier to identify by the thinner lettering on the obverse:

1879-8J.jpg

vs

1879-9J.jpg

Obverse 9 lettering being slightly thicker and much more deeply cut. This is a fairly obvious difference on all but the lowest grade coins.

Dead links. A perfect example of why members should not use external hosts as they are failing rapidly (unless you cough up and take out a subscription with them...)

So if I read this thread correctly, this one from my collection is 8 and J?

1879 D 8+J 1 Red.JPG

1879 D 8+J 2 Red.JPG