British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I recently obtained a 1844 Farthing from a dealer in New York (obverse attached), and would like the opinion of the Forum on the grading. I purchased the coin as EF. The coin came in an envelope with the Name of Colin Cooke on it, but I am not sure of its pedigree. The reverve will be attached next.

Thanks,

Bob

post-509-1149521227_thumb.jpg

Here is the Reverse

post-509-1149521421_thumb.jpg

Looks EF to me, I think the wear on Britannia's shield, bust, and lower leg prevent it from going higher.

Looks EF to me, I think the wear on Britannia's shield, bust, and lower leg prevent it from going higher.

Thanks. I appreciate the evaluation. I noticed the slight friction on the shield also. The coin is really much nicer than the photo shows. I have not mastered photographic lighting yet! <ggg>.

Regards,

Bob

I'd say it's just about EF. There's a noticeable loss of fine detail in Victoria's hair. Perhaps about EF would be fairer, but it's definitely better than GVF. It's really all about a dealer's consistency when considering these fairly fine distinctions.

A nice, problem-free coin though.

I'd say it's just about EF. There's a noticeable loss of fine detail in Victoria's hair. Perhaps about EF would be fairer, but it's definitely better than GVF. It's really all about a dealer's consistency when considering these fairly fine distinctions.

Custard,

Great hearing from you again, and obtaining your opinion.

Regards,

Bob

I would concur with the above assessments....

Thanks Bronze and Copper. It looks like a consensus! Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Bob

Custard,

Great hearing from you again, and obtaining your opinion.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Glad to be of assistance :)

Is that a slight edge knock at 8 o'clock on the reverse ?

Nice coin all the same and a beautiful tone.

Peter,

You have a good eye...I didn't notice that myself. The coin is round, without any flattening of the edge, but the rim facing the reverse, does have a, ever so slight, contact just at the outer edge. Thanks for your observation, and your input.

Regards,

Bob.

Guest English Coin Fanatic

Peter,

You have a good eye...I didn't notice that myself. The coin is round, without any flattening of the edge, but the rim facing the reverse, does have a, ever so slight, contact just at the outer edge. Thanks for your observation, and your input.

Regards,

Bob.

EF in my opinion. Remember the obverse dies were "recycled" sovereign obverse dies and so have DIE WEAR as opposed to coin wear. Excellent details on Britannia with surface scuffing as noted. I would not be overly concerned with what may be light rim contact at the listed 8 o'clock reverse position - also recall that the photo is considerably enlarged over life-size.

I suppose it would be rather gauche to inquire as to the price?

I really don't mind stating the price, at this point. I paid $520 dollars, or about 295 pounds. I think I may have paid the full value of the coin, but that is not uncommon for better quality pieces.

Regards,

Bob

Guest English Coin Fanatic
I really don't mind stating the price, at this point. I paid $520 dollars, or about 295 pounds. I think I may have paid the full value of the coin, but that is not uncommon for better quality pieces.

Regards,

Bob

For what it is worth, that was a good buy in my opinion and would have done it. Some 2-3 years ago I got a RED 1849 in mint bought from a US dealer for just about 200 USD, and these dates along with perhaps the 1842 & maybe the '46 and '47 (though much lower in price) are finds in the EF and higher grades.

Peter,

Thanks for the link. That is also a pretty decent coin, although the picture could use some more light. John has some nice coins, now and again. I buy off of eBay on occasion, but I never go by the grade they apply to the coin...too much disparity.