British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi all, another recent beach find with a metal detector a Queen Ann shilling, its a bit rough and has not coped with conditions well but a welcome find that has a fair amount of detail. I can not figure out which Spinks number it is though(S3608?), looks like a later one by the shields/crown configuration and the hair suggests that also but cant seem to get a match between the RAT of gratia and the bun and ribbon, and of course the only smooth parts on the coin is where any mintmark and the date would have been ! Any help greatly appreciated, I realise it has little monetary value.

post-611-1149067195_thumb.jpg

post-611-1149067229_thumb.jpg

Hi all, another recent beach find with a metal detector a Queen Ann shilling, its a bit rough and has not coped with conditions well but a welcome find that has a fair amount of detail. I can not figure out which Spinks number it is though(S3608?), looks like a later one by the shields/crown configuration and the hair suggests that also but cant seem to get a match between the RAT of gratia and the bun and ribbon, and of course the only smooth parts on the coin is where any mintmark and the date would have been ! Any help greatly appreciated, I realise it has little monetary value.

Struggling here. The hair curls suggest an Edinburgh bust but you can't see whether there is an E or E* below the bust. The position of the bun relative to the legend suggests a sixpence. What diameter is it?

Its 26mm dia, the closest looking hair/legend configuration was on a sixpence (s3620?) but this is a shilling, I saw there is a S3615a struck from crude local dies (E) but could not find a picture of one to compare it. I did send a scan of this coin to National Museums of Scotland to see if they wanted it for recording/Treasure Trove but they said probably a later one and not too submit it.

Hopefully a better scan attached.

post-611-1149070553_thumb.jpg

The serifs on the lettering suggest they are the regular English/British issue and not the recoinage for Scotland issue.

Would that mean it has to be a S3610 or a S3618 ? and is there a variation within those classifications to explain why the legend/hair do not match ? thanks for both your input into this.

Would that mean it has to be a S3610 or a S3618 ? and is there a variation within those classifications to explain why the legend/hair do not match ? thanks for both your input into this.

Here's a fairly good resemblance. The ties are positioned correctly for your coin, the two curls are higher than the forelock, there appears to be a trace of an E under the bust on yours and the spacing of the legend relative to the bust is quite a good fit. This is a second bust S3609. Apologies for the dire grade of the coin shown but I don't have a good example of this bust

post-381-1149076706_thumb.jpg