British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest Guest_craig_I'm_a_Guest

victorian model penny

Just found this thread as I was going to ask about the Model Penny but you have all already answered quite a few question's I had. Thanks. I have added a photo of my Model One Penny, not sure if it is rare or common. I just think they are a great little coin with what seems to be a fascinating story. I am still looking to get a halfpenny just to have an example. Anyone a good idea of how much a halfpenny version will cost?

post-8845-0-40103700-1439312977_thumb.jp

Rather than re hash another thread thought I would resurrect this one. I have just bought a second model penny this time with brass inlay. However the axis is off by 180. Is this normal? The silver one I have posted directly above is normal.

Here is a pic.

Thanks all

Brian

post-8845-0-94666000-1449263687_thumb.jp

Edited by bhx7

I don't have any figures for die axis, but suspect this is normal. They weren't RM products, so you would not expect quality control to be such an issue. FWIW my penny is inverted, my halfpenny upright.

Is your silver one definitely silver? i.e. have you tested it? The insert is normally white metal (mostly tin), so presume you are misleading yourself. You need a copy of Peck.

Maybe tin Rob, I was more insinuating colour. But haven't tested it.

It's nice nonetheless :)

What does one of these cost, in the condition you have it in?

Edited by Nordle11

My silver "coloured" was about £5 I think. The brass one was £10 inc of p&p. I also have a halfpenny brass insert which cost me about £15. I like the whole range although not sure I could afford the rarer ones.

Brian

It's nice nonetheless :)

What does one of these cost, in the condition you have it in?

I just bought an example many years ago.

It was cheap but not Penney like accumulators.

Most are VF+ due to non circulation.

ebay or Whitmore have plenty.

• Like 2

Seems to be the Halfpennies that are harder to get and slightly more expensive.

• Like 1

Apologies for coming back to an old thread but I found a half penny version and I was wondering if anyone could help me identify which variant it is from that book that was posted above. 

IMG_20160619_223851.jpg

Edited by stow1k

It really depends on what the underlying metal is. Obviously we can discount silver with this example, but there are copper plated white metal and copper plated brass versions. And a few off metal variations. It's only important if you wish to be sure that you have the correct catalogue number. The value is pretty much the same across the board.

On 12/3/2015 at 9:15 PM, bhx7 said:

Rather than re hash another thread thought I would resurrect this one. I have just bought a second model penny this time with brass inlay. However the axis is off by 180. Is this normal? The silver one I have posted directly above is normal.

Here is a pic.

Thanks all

Brian

QV One Penny Model coin 2.jpg

I have just received one in the post Brian that is the same :)

• Like 1

I have looked at Rodgers, Magnay and Barter, none of which seem to indicate what the orientation of any of the Model Penny types should be

so I checked all my brass inserts and they are all inverted, however the silver inserts seem to be all over the place with 0 degrees, 180 degrees and almost every position in between

Yes John i have been looking also.

I assumed the brass insert must all be inverted as too much of a coincidence that Brians was the same.

I will have to start looking for one that isnt ;)

Edited by PWA 1967

29 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes John i have been looking also.

I assumed the brass insert must all be inverted as too much of a coincidence that Brians was the same.

I will have to start looking for one that isnt ;)

Mine (your new one) is winging its way to you Pete

Have about 7 examples now with 2 half pennies as well. Not one is exactly alike. legends are placed differently, different centres, etc....

Rodgers and Magnay generalise about the different types, Barter has done in depth surveys and identified sub types of Pennies and Halfpennies

His booklets are available at Blurb, the self publishing site

In the Tony Barter book there are pictures descriptions of fifty three different Pennies :).

• Like 1

Apologies for the photographs :rolleyes:

I know not many people are interested in them but can only try on here as unable to identify it properly.

It appears solid and although its a bad photo that is the colour,its 4 gr and definately obverse B in the Tony barter book.

Just to see if anyone has seen one the same.

Pete.

1.jpg

I don't have the Barter, but it sounds interesting. Krause only lists around 10 or 11 varieties. Yours looks to be X 9a or X 9c depending on whether it is solid copper or copper plated WM. I'm going for X9a, and it looks to be one of the best I've seen.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2014 at 1:42 PM, Accumulator said:

I'm not at home either, but the best reference book on these coins is by Tony Barter. I'll post more later.

Great name for someone interested in coinage LOL

On 12/25/2022 at 2:57 PM, copper123 said:

Great name for someone interested in coinage LOL

Whatever happened to Accumulator?

8 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Whatever happened to Accumulator?

Stephen Etheridge ? I think he gave up collecting and sold his collection through Colin Cooke (Copthorne collection) in 2016.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Stephen Etheridge ? I think he gave up collecting and sold his collection through Colin Cooke (Copthorne collection) in 2016.

Oh right, was Etheridge his real name? I always thought it was Copthorne. Maybe he named his collection after something else.