British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest Guest_craig_I'm_a_Guest

victorian model penny

hi i wonder if anyone can help i have a bi metal coin on the obverse it is marked one penny model ,with a young victoria head in the middle . On the reverse it has one penny model and a large 1 in the middle .the coin is 21mm in diameter the center is 10mm and appears to be silver with the outside bronze .Can anyone tell me anything about this coin as i have done alot of searching and can find nothing .

hi i wonder if anyone can help i have a bi metal coin on the obverse it is marked one penny model ,with a young victoria head in the middle . On the reverse it has one penny model and a large 1 in the middle .the coin is 21mm in diameter the center is 10mm and appears to be silver with the outside bronze .Can anyone tell me anything about this coin as i have done alot of searching and can find nothing .

They were a suggested design by Joseph Moore and made in either 1844 or 1848 to replace the heavy coinage then in circulation. According to Peck, the inner part was supposed to be in silver to compensate for the small intrinsic copper value but those produced in the greatest numbers had a copper outer ring and an inner part made of approximately 60% zinc / 40% nickel according to Freeman who analysed the metal composition of many coins. They were never adopted and are quite common. You can pick up a good one on eBay for a few pounds. There are two varieties with this metal with the die axis upright and inverted. i.e If you turn the coin over, the other side may be of the same orientation or opposite and the inverted type is considered by Freeman to be slightly rarer. There is a variety with PENNY reading PENNEY and this is rare. The references are Peck 2092, Freeman 802 and 802A for the inverted die axis. It should look as the attached picture.

post-381-1148943829_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob

thats fantastic thank you very much for your quick response

This is an example of the PENNEY error mentioned above......

Here are the other rarities.... A model penny (F-799) and half penny (F-804) in silver ...

post-443-1148968471_thumb.jpg

post-443-1148968495_thumb.jpg

post-443-1148968703_thumb.jpg

post-443-1148968755_thumb.jpg

post-443-1148968859_thumb.jpg

post-443-1148968929_thumb.jpg

Saw one of these on Oz ebay (400640366395) for the first time and some research on the net led me here.

Small world !

Anyway, if they're common I'll wait for a better example.

cheers

Garrett.

Saw one of these on Oz ebay (400640366395) for the first time and some research on the net led me here.

Small world !

cheers

Garrett.

They're surprisingly common and that's among the worst examples I've ever seen! Keep looking (on UK eBay) and you'll definitely find a much better one for less than £30. As mentioned above, the rarities (which are VERY rare) are the miss-spelt 'PENNEY', the dated 1844 and the all silver examples. There are also lots of micro-varieties, for which there's a book published, should you be interested in researching further.

Thanks AC !

They are an interesting little item.

cheers

Garrett.

Small world !

cheers

Garrett.

They're surprisingly common and that's among the worst examples I've ever seen! Keep looking (on UK eBay) and you'll definitely find a much better one for less than £30. As mentioned above, the rarities (which are VERY rare) are the miss-spelt 'PENNEY', the dated 1844 and the all silver examples. There are also lots of micro-varieties, for which there's a book published, should you be interested in researching further.

Do you know the name of the book cheers :)

An example of the "Penney" model penny error has just sold on eBay for £565 (or withdrawn) about 20 minutes a go..

Link

Small world !

cheers

Garrett.

Do you know the name of the book cheers :)

Not sure of the micro varieties book but Freeman's book covers a lot of the model pennies and has plates as well.

Is this topic an example of a later overstrike? :lol:

An example of the "Penney" model penny error has just sold on eBay for £565 (or withdrawn) about 20 minutes a go..

Link

I'm not at home at the moment to check the exact title and spelling ..but the reference book is "Rodger's (spelling?) Toy Money" (not sure if this is the title on the cover, but this is the book....

Link

I'm not at home at the moment to check the exact title and spelling ..but the reference book is "Rodger's (spelling?) Toy Money" (not sure if this is the title on the cover, but this is the book....

Is that why there's so often a hole in middle...? :o

I'm not at home either, but the best reference book on these coins is by Tony Barter. I'll post more later.

Link

I know ;)

• Like 1

Link

I know ;)

You bought it then Pies?

Link

I know ;)

You bought it then Pies?

Yep been looking for one to turn up for ages. I saw one I think at the London coin auction a while ago and regretted not getting it so I was buying this one. I have uploaded pics to the acquisition thread :)

That's the one!

I didn't know that he finally published it... I'll.have get a copy.for reference..

Rogers was the reference to use but included much more than these model pennies...

Just as Freeman supplanted Peck with the bronze issues, and Gouby expanded upon Freeman (at least with the pennies), I would expect Tony's book to supplant Rogers with the models...

Without seeing it, I would still recommend it, and as I said before, will get a copy for myself....

After I sold my Model collection of 100 or so different varieties, Tonymade an offer on the rare varieties that I had kept... The penney error, a silver penny, and a silver half-penny ex-Norweb..

I wish him luck with the book

That's the one!

I didn't know that he finally published it... I'll.have get a copy.for reference..

Rogers was the reference to use but included much more than these model pennies...

Just as Freeman supplanted Peck with the bronze issues, and Gouby expanded upon Freeman (at least with the pennies), I would expect Tony's book to supplant Rogers with the models...

Without seeing it, I would still recommend it, and as I said before, will get a copy for myself....

After I sold my Model collection of 100 or so different varieties, Tonymade an offer on the rare varieties that I had kept... The penney error, a silver penny, and a silver half-penny ex-Norweb..

Tony's book is very thorough and comprehensive indeed. He spent a great deal of time producing it, especially the hand drawings of the micro-varieties. Being hyper-critical, the scans would be better as photographs and he could have done with a grammar checker! Very much a labour of love though.

I may possibly have your silver penny now? I recently bought an example, together with the two unique pennies (brass and nickel-plated) that Tony had.

That's the one!

Tony's book is very thorough and comprehensive indeed. He spent a great deal of time producing it, especially the hand drawings of the micro-varieties. Being hyper-critical, the scans would be better as photographs and he could have done with a grammar checker! Very much a labour of love though.

I may possibly have your silver penny now? I recently bought an example, together with the two unique pennies (brass and nickel-plated) that Tony had.

I'm not home now, but when I do & have the chance, I'll see if I can find the images of those coins....

That's the one!

I'm not home now, but when I do & have the chance, I'll see if I can find the images of those coins....

SILLY ME....

THE COINS ARE IMAGED NEAR THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD.....