British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vic Turton

Half Penny is Plated, silver looking 1967

Guest Vic Turton

Hello i have a what is a 1967 half penny which has been plated in a silver looking metal. have been told it might be nickel.

i have looked all over the internet nad can find any information on the coin.

From its apperence it looks like it might have been mounted in something as there hare some marks on the coin (small amount of damage in four places)

Some help would be great if someone knows what this coin is all about.

Please e-mail me at DJGurth@Hotmail.com if you have any information or reply here and i will check back.

Thankyou Mr Victor Turton

Guest Eric Dawson

Yes, you should provide a photograph of the coin as there are nickel and possibly copper-nickel specimens of this coin struck in wrong metal composition. Alternatively, as you suggest, it may be silver plated or plated with other metals.

Guest Victor Turton

Here is a Picture of this Coin

post-0-1148660474_thumb.jpg

post-0-1148660537_thumb.jpg

Looks silver plated to me with original colour showing through under the marks where the mount has been. If you have a magnifying glass you might be able to confirm this or if it's discoloured for some other reason.

Generally someone would have to be pretty insane to mount a rarity like a nickel 1/2d.

Guest Strange

Yea i probably agree with that, but why on earth would someone want to plate a half penny? to make a fake?

It is plate because there are four small chips, this must have been plate by someone for decoration?

Hello,

these were probably plated silver (nickel) with the intention to make some kind of cheap jewellery item like a charm bracelet.

I have 2 of these plated halfpennies, both 1967, one of which is holed at the top.

As to the value- £0,00

Guest English Coin Fanatic
Hello,

these were probably plated silver (nickel) with the intention to make some kind of cheap jewellery item like a charm bracelet.

I have 2 of these plated halfpennies, both 1967, one of which is holed at the top.

As to the value- £0,00

Yes, and quite a few pennies ( I have seen the 1950 and 1951). On the other hand, I have and have seen 1967 dated pennies and halfpennies that were struck in cupro-nickel or allied compound and are authentic. This is a coin that would probably bear a personal examination by a reputable dealer. One fake I scraped the edge of and saw a copper colour underneath...

Given the marks on the piece as noted before, it is probably electroplated.

It could just be for jewelry or it could be for the purpose of trying to convince someone that it is made of Cu-Ni.

The true value of the coin has already been posted IMO.

Guest Ian Wakeham

I’ve just found from my late father’s collection 2 half pennys in the wrong metal - 1948 (George IV) and 1967 (Elizabeth II)

neither have signs of being mounted or used as jewellery 

have I something unusual/rare?

ian.wakeham@hotmail.co.uk

E2020D19-AD0E-484C-8B20-39A1684B5842.jpeg

E2020D19-AD0E-484C-8B20-39A1684B5842.jpeg

It's quite common for base metal coins to be plated post-mintage - often in chrome, sometimes even in silver. One way to be certain is to weigh each one; if it weighs (within a very small tolerance) as a bronze halfpenny should, it's been plated. If there is a significant difference then it is most likely to have been struck in the wrong metal in which case it could have a collectable value, though not huge.

Edited by Peckris

Hey Wybrit... Hope All is well

1 hour ago, coinkat said:

Hey Wybrit... Hope All is well

Wybritt's post is 12 years old.!!!

8 hours ago, Peter said:

Wybritt's post is 12 years old.!!!

And he hasn't visited the forum for two and a half years.

My sincere apologies for missing the date on a post and basically wishing someone well.

1 hour ago, coinkat said:

My sincere apologies for missing the date on a post and basically wishing someone well.

It's not a problem.  It's just he's unlikely to see your message unless you tag him also (use the 'at' symbol followed by a space and then the username eg @Nick).

Guest Vernonrichmond31@gmail.com

I have a 1959 half penny with silver on it and it looks copper with no hole what do I have

Guest Vernonrichmond31@gmail.com

I have a 1959 half penny silver coating on it how much Queen Elizabeth

3 hours ago, Guest Vernonrichmond31@gmail.com said:

I have a 1959 half penny silver coating on it how much Queen Elizabeth

Just her head, neck, and shoulder.

3 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Just her head, neck, and shoulder.

Yes Michael although its a pity its not got a HOLE as that one is scarcer ;)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes Michael although its a pity its not got a HOLE as that one is scarcer ;)

Now now Pete, we don't want to frighten the horses, and it is Sunday, after all… :D:D:D

On 8 April 2018 at 4:28 AM, Guest Vernonrichmond31@gmail.com said:

I have a 1959 half penny with silver on it and it looks copper with no hole what do I have

You have a 1959 half penny with silver on it and it looks copper with no hole