British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The new link 'Gallery' above leads to the gallery area.

To add your own public album you need to use the option in 'My Controls'. It seems quite straight forward, why not give it a go.

My god, it's eating up the old band width use already!

But, it's ok, I've done another deal with the hosts and I know get lots of bandwidth and webspace for a fixed annual fee, and I'm, going to plaster the forum with (subtle) ads to try and get some of that back.

Playing with your gallery I think it's just what we need, but - a small niggle - Why must we post a "message" before we can upload. It doesn't appear anywhere. I'm just 'cut & paste'ing the title! It's a pity we can't upload batches, too! But great work, Chris :P

I've been merrily posting coin pics in the gallery and have just begun to wonder - is there any limit to the number of coins /member you want to place? (having noticed your comment on bandwidth)

[have you noticed, as you get older, the keys on the keyboard get smaller, requiring much editing! :huh: ]

No, Post all you like Geordie, there is no limit.

Seeing what others have in their collection is interesting. It gives the site some new and frequently updated content, and should therefore encourage visitors, and some of those will no doubt buy things, so it's all good.

I like the fact that the images don't get resized - like omnicoin - and it seems much quicker to go through the process of adding them. All my coins are UK pennies and I got fed up with having to choose lots of pointless options every time I added a new coin. And the tab order on their add page is all wrong which makes it doubly annoying.

I'm gradually scanning all my collection so I'll post the best ones. (Just need some software to combine the obverses & reverses into a single image - if anyone knows of anything free I can get hold of that would be very helpful).

I like the fact that the images don't get resized - like omnicoin - and it seems much quicker to go through the process of adding them. All my coins are UK pennies and I got fed up with having to choose lots of pointless options every time I added a new coin. And the tab order on their add page is all wrong which makes it doubly annoying.

I'm gradually scanning all my collection so I'll post the best ones. (Just need some software to combine the obverses & reverses into a single image - if anyone knows of anything free I can get hold of that would be very helpful).

If you are using a scanner, take an image of more than twice the area required with the coin positioned to one side of the rectangle. If you repeat this for the other side you can copy and paste the image and move it around within the first box so that they are adjacent.

If you are using a scanner, take an image of more than twice the area required with the coin positioned to one side of the rectangle. If you repeat this for the other side you can copy and paste the image and move it around within the first box so that they are adjacent.

Thanks Rob. I've got quite a lot scanned already and need a way to join them together. I've not got any software that seems able to do it. I'm using Thumbs+ to scan and catalogue and it doesn't seem to support it, neither does Paint. I was just wondering if anyone knew of anything they were already using that does it. I'm sure it's a fairly common feature of photo/graphics packages so I'll hunt around for a freebie or some of the stuff that came with the scanner, that I've never used.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of anything they were already using that does it. I'm sure it's a fairly common feature of photo/graphics packages so I'll hunt around for a freebie or some of the stuff that came with the scanner, that I've never used.

I use Photoshop CS2 which has a nifty canvas resize feature, to resize the background layer of a picture without distorting its contents. CS2 is pricey, but you can buy Photoshop Elements which has many of the features of the full CS2 version.

I use Jasc PaintShop which has loads of features and is very cheap.

It should be possible (in a round about way) in paint.

Album in progress!

Couple of niggles - I really wanted the images posted in chronological order (which is also in alphabetic order of titles) but they displayed in the order in which I posted them. :(

Editing to add more info you are asked to repost the image. Be nice if there was a way to just edit the comment part.

Otherwise it's great!! Thanks Chris!

I found the ideal piece of software for this.

Irfanview - it's free for personal use (you can get it at download.com) and it has a panorama feature which lets you pick one or more existing images to stick together.

Works beautifully

I've got that too! I used it to convert some of the image files of the old Rotographic books into gifs.

The scans do get resized- 640 Pixels wide, I do not know about height! So if you resize your scans using your graphics program to 640 pixels width then there will be no quality loss when posting them.

Another tip is to sharpen your pictures before reducing their size. I use a digi cam and even on the smallest setting of 2MB the size is about 3 times that required. Reducing, digitally, the size always results in a loss in quality this can be offset by sharpening the picture before resizing. Trial and error, just play around with your graphics program until you find the settings that suit you.

I use Picture Publisher 8 which is free, or it was when I got it which is a while back. The last Picture Pub was Ver 10 and then they were taken over by Coral and it became Coral Photobook. This I have as well but unfortunatly Coral decided to switch of quite a few functions which p****d :angry: me off so I went back to PP8.

Would it be possible/a good idea to show the latest gallery addition on the main forum page somewhere (maybe topleft or topright) ?

That's something I want to do too, because otherwise people won't even know there is a gallery!

OK! So now I have pictures on this gallery, Omnicoin and Photobucket!!! What to do? Close the others or just leave them? If this facility was available when I started, I would not have opened the others. I have no idea how to close them, anyway. I can't find a 'delete account' anywhere! :(

Just leave them, they'll probably expire.

This is your home Geordie, this is where you belong ;)

OK! I'll gradually build up my gallery here and leave the rest. It will take time,though, so keep checking! :lol:

One thing I haven't got to grips with is the posting of a description. It appears that remarks put in the 'message' box (the one you MUST use before you can post a picture) doesn't appear anywhere - or am I just having a 'senior moment'? :blink:

Oh! and the predecimal link at the top still doesn't work! :rolleyes:

Still can't post descriptions/classifications of coins.? :huh: