British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Geoff T

Pedant...moi?

Well, you see Chris, it's just that pre-decimal kids like me did Latin at school - so I think "By the grace of the coin, guardian of the forum" should be "Nummi gratia fori def[ensor]".

;) Geoff

As the man said - Veni, vidi, vici - Been there, done that, got the Latin O level...

Well what do I know! But at least you knew what it was supposed to mean. I'll change it.

Actually that's a good idea for a new Poll....'Should Latin be taught more widely in British schools'? I think the only ones still doing it are the very posh private ones, and even in Eaton, I imagine it's only an option.

Well what do I know! But at least you knew what it was supposed to mean. I'll change it.

Actually that's a good idea for a new Poll....'Should Latin be taught more widely in British schools'? I think the only ones still doing it are the very posh private ones, and even in Eaton, I imagine it's only an option.

Never had the fortune to have done Latin, couldn't find anywhere near me that did it.

French was easily available everywhere, yeah sure... but how often has french actually helped me in history? (actually a little bit), but the German was totally pointless...

Ach nein! Deutsch ist sehr gut.

Ach nein! Deutsch ist sehr gut.

ich mochte ein tasse tee bitte, keine milke und keine zucker!

And that's about as much as i remember from German,

Je nai pas parlez Francaise neither.

Aufweidersein

Syl.

Ouch!

Geoff

And what does all this actually mean?! i thought this was an English forum <_<

Hey, we digress!

From what? There was never actually anything to digress from was there!

From what? There was never actually anything to digress from was there!

From the normal language!

Oh I see, well what's normal for me when I venture into the outside world is unfortunately not English.

And what does all this actually mean?! i thought this was an English forum <_<

William,

The first bit was German and asking for a cup of tea minus milk and sugar...

The French bit was stating 'i don't speak French!' (in fluent French nonetheless!)

Fun hey?

Syl.

Thanks, Sylvester! I know some French, and a little Italian! :D

William, you've no doubt already realised that we musicians tend to become linguists by default because we're dealing all the time with something which isn't language-specific. Italian and French will prove useful, but if you get the chance to do German, go for it. It's probably the most useful foreign language for any musician - as I tell RNCM students virtually every day :D

Geoff

Thanks for the tip Geoff, i'll try! :)

I'll be in college next Saturday morning if you want to come and say 'hi' and talk pre-decimal.

G

Thanks, will you be in the library some time before 9:30? (my only free period! :( )

I'm there from just before 9am till just after 1pm.

G

Great! See you there! B)