British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Geordie582

Celtic Unit

Here is my latest purchase. I know it is Celtic but, despite searching two years catalogues of Chris Rudd and Philip de Jersey's book, I can't attribute with any certainty. Anyone have any ideas?

911237.jpg

I can make out an 'A' and a 'I' in front of the face (the photograph is not as clear as the actual coin) And I guess the reverse shows two metal workers at a mushroom shaped anvil. There's a hint of lettering underneath them. 'X's maybe?

Bloody hell - can't you just give us some nice saxon penny to identify!!?

OK - I'm going to stick my head out here. Please remember I know nothing about this, but I like a challenge! Having looked through a variety of Trinovante/Catuvellauni units (which were my first thought) I couldn't find any paired metal workers. I tried a few Celto-Iberians but they all seem to have animals on the reverse. It then occurred to me to look a barbarous copies. I found this:

9863.jpg

which is a copy of an Imperial bronze. You will see that the figure on the right is stabbing or attacking the left-hand figure who is riding a horse. It occurred to me that your mushroom shaped 'anvil' could be the flank of a horse. Or I could be talking c**p. But you DID ask for ideas!!!

Edited by TomGoodheart

Hmm! I don't think that's close! Sorry.

With some Paintshop Pro magic, I managed to make out "TIN" (I'd forgot celtic is read from the rim, not from the centre as in Roman & Saxon)

911289.jpg That's his nose at the top, by the way!!!

The reverse probably shows two metal workers(moneyers?) at a mushroom shaped anvil. The hammer is a typical type. I'm continuing the search and I'll let you know! B)

Found in Lincolnshire. 13mm 1gm

The nearest obverse I can find is the one in the line drawing, but it's Regini/Atrebates, so if the right type, what's it doing in Lincolnshire??

Edited by Geordie582

There's no delete button!!! :(

Edited by Geordie582

OK! Tom. You win. Chris Rudd is of the oppinion that it's 4th century Romano-British or Gaulish copy of a Constantinian coin. This would fit with where it was found. The large profile head mislead me. I think it was also a little wishful thinking on my part! :huh:

Just lucky with my searching and hunches I guess!! (In case you're interested here are a few examples that put the idea into my head). Celtic Roman copies

I certainly think it's a very interesting piece, both historically and numismatically speaking (and I enjoyed trying to figure out what it might be!!)

Is this a new interest of yours?

Very interesting thread, well done TomGoodHeart (the same idea did cross my mind actually, but I thought I'd let someone else get the glory).

As it's technically sort of a fake and I collect fakes, how much do you want for it Geordie?

I was going to add something....about fakes and collectability...and where fakes aren't really fakes (continental sterlings etc)

I clicked the Lo-Fi Version and was suitably impressed.....excellent work Chris. :)

Sorry Chris, but I'm too much of a collector to sell it! B)

TomGoodheart, I had considered a Roman copy but, because of the head size and position, I'd rejected the idea. I should have stuck with it! :huh:

Peter, I do have a 'Sterling' continental copy and was looking out for more, but the prices seem to have rocketed lately, so I'll have to pass! I'll stick with my Plantagenet collection for the moment. I did want to follow the Northumbrian Saxon Kings but, again, prices seem to have gone through the roof. It's especially galling as I had all these coins, with Canute and other Saxons in my original collection. But that was over 40 years ago. I sold the whole lot for £250 in order to buy my first computer (Sinclair build it yourself!) We all make mistakes, don't we! :rolleyes:

Edited by Geordie582

Maybe A for Aspen and I for Yew.

X could be end or begin since 2 image,relationship maybe.