British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
custard1966

1862 Penny G over C

35 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Still are, surely?

Maybe for someone who is selling one or not got one 😊

There is plenty of both for collectors to be able to buy one of each today if they want them ,for less than they were selling for two years ago.

13 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Maybe for someone who is selling one or not got one 😊

There is plenty of both for collectors to be able to buy one of each today if they want them ,for less than they were selling for two years ago.

How often do you see those two specific examples in high grade though? That's where the true extreme rarity applies.

Rare even in fine.

If a coin is scarce then to find one in high grade is obviously a lot harder.

These are not in toffee Jars like one of the 1877 found but have been kept because of the grade.

Scarce varieties in high grade will always command a big premium and are truly RARE.

Edited by PWA 1967

20 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

If a coin is scarce then to find one in high grade is obviously a lot harder.

These are not in toffee Jars like one of the 1877 found but have been kept because of the grade.

Scarce varieties in high grade will always command a big premium and are truly RARE.

Very true, Pete. But the point I was making, perhaps not in a totally clear way, is that some coins are relatively common at grades below VF, but exceedingly scarce at EF and above. Typical examples would be F48/49, as well as the ones above that you mention.  

As far as the F90, there don't seem to be any high grade specimens - all fine or below. 

Yes your spot on.

There will be exceptions and that like varieties is what keeps us interested as if you could find everything easily in a nice grade we would of all got bored and moved on by now.

What i meant though was if you want to find something you have thousands of low grade ones to look at but alot less in high grade.The percentage is then stacked in finding a low grade one.You could probably  find a couple of hundred of MOST dates today on ebay but the same date in high grade perhaps only a few.

One such as Richards (on his site) 1862/1 is a true gem and extremely rare not just variety but grade and again an exception to the rule 😊

Most high grade ones will be in collections and already been checked.The 1864 you use as an example is similar to a variety loads of low grade ones but scarce/rare in EF or better.

.With regards finding something such as a new variety and the reason why nobody has found them in the past is that it is much harder to find something if you dont know what your looking for.This is were the forum helps us and sites such as Richards with people good enough to share information and help each other.

If you find ten minutes today Mike have a look at 1862 or any common year.......How many EF or better and how many rang tang 😊

Made me remember going to see someone in a macmillan hospital,they had a collection for coins know longer in circulation which was a great big thing.Sitting at the side of it i was thinking what varieties were in it as i doubt they had been checked by the people who were kind enough to almost fill it .I dont think there were any UNC ones though 😊

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

I see there is a new variety listed recently from Cheshire of a G or something over a C in an 1860 penny ..

1 hour ago, DrLarry said:

I see there is a new variety listed recently from Cheshire of a G or something over a C in an 1860 penny ..

If that was the EBay one, it is tenuous in the extreme due to wear and from a vendor who frequently sells spurious ‘varieties’, though he has had some superb pennies too over the last year.

Jerry

Guest Rob

Sorry, that was the wrong one. 1862 one is here. I found two coins, one from 1862 the VIGTORIA one and one from 1872.

1862_penny_reverse.pdf

Thanks Rob. The corrosion does detract a bit, but could be improved, and I would still rate the coin at £1500 to £2000, perhaps even a little more at auction, I was the underbidder on one about the same condition but with fewer problems at about £2200 last year.

When you say you ‘found’ the two pennies, do you mean under the floorboards or something? A good find either way. If you do intend to sell it, you could join the forum so you can receive pm’s!

Jerry

18 hours ago, jelida said:

If that was the EBay one, it is tenuous in the extreme due to wear and from a vendor who frequently sells spurious ‘varieties’, though he has had some superb pennies too over the last year.

Jerry

yes I know I think a variety I had from him may have been "doctored"  oh well you live and learn...or not in my case... I am sure the forum would agree.  

Guest Rob

Yes Jerry you are absolutely spot on. Sounds like a cliche but I found two pennies under the floorboards. Its an old house and the floorboards are not tongue and grove so there is a small gap for coins to fall through. Only found them as the pennies were too big for the vacuum cleaner nozzle so didn't get sucked into the hose. Makes me wonder if I cleaned up and lost some smaller coins. 

I'm not a collector despite somebody posting my coin on a rare coins website and saying it is held in a private collection. Two coins makes a collection of sorts I guess. I'll join the forum like you suggest. I am open to selling. 

Rob

We renovated an early Victorian villa some years ago, and when a proportion of the boards were lifted for woodworm prevention spraying I found 36 coins, ranging from farthings to a halfcrown, sadly nothing comparable in rarity. Old houses must be a significant reservoir of  out-dated coinage.

Jerry

I dont suppose anyone is really bothered ,just put the phone down and only two not three 1877 were found this year.One is the same coin in Sept LCA. the person who had told me thought it was a different one 😊

4 hours ago, Guest Rob said:

I'm not a collector despite somebody posting my coin on a rare coins website and saying it is held in a private collection.

I hope you don't mind me putting your coin up on my rare penny website - I'll take it off if you wish, but devoted collectors like myself are very keen to see pictures of these very rare coins.

I always put "private collection" when I haven't had permission to quote the owner's name or if they wish to remain anonymous.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, PWA 1967 said:

With regards finding something such as a new variety and the reason why nobody has found them in the past is that it is much harder to find something if you dont know what your looking for

Agree with Pete's thinking, but now that nearly 10 years have passed since MG's excellent bronze penny book, can I just ask if anyone found another example of the penny variety 1860JB (V over inverted A in VICTORIA)? I have seen a dozen examples of the same error on the 1854 Half Penny since that was first discovered a few years ago, but never seen another 1860JB penny.....despite looking almost every day! I would have expected a few lower grade pieces to have appeared by now.

8 hours ago, Guest Rob said:

Yes Jerry you are absolutely spot on. Sounds like a cliche but I found two pennies under the floorboards. Its an old house and the floorboards are not tongue and grove so there is a small gap for coins to fall through. Only found them as the pennies were too big for the vacuum cleaner nozzle so didn't get sucked into the hose. Makes me wonder if I cleaned up and lost some smaller coins. 

I'm not a collector despite somebody posting my coin on a rare coins website and saying it is held in a private collection. Two coins makes a collection of sorts I guess. I'll join the forum like you suggest. I am open to selling. 

Rob

Very neat find.

3 hours ago, alfnail said:

Agree with Pete's thinking, but now that nearly 10 years have passed since MG's excellent bronze penny book, can I just ask if anyone found another example of the penny variety 1860JB (V over inverted A in VICTORIA)? I have seen a dozen examples of the same error on the 1854 Half Penny since that was first discovered a few years ago, but never seen another 1860JB penny.....despite looking almost every day! I would have expected a few lower grade pieces to have appeared by now.

You'd think on the law of averages that a few more would have come to light since then. But maybe they were all - or nearly all - melted down at the time of withdrawal. 

They are all going to turn up at once, just as the VIGTORIAs are doing now. One day there will be a huge supply once the variety is promoted ;)

Maybe a daft question 😊

The Gouby V over A why does the bar appear as a row of dots please ,i dont think its the picture as the rest is really clear ?

Somebody must know as its doing my head in 😄I have just had a look again as not had my medication yet and if you cant see them please look at the bar under a glass maybe ?.

4 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Somebody must know as its doing my head in 😄I have just had a look again as not had my medication yet and if you cant see them please look at the bar under a glass maybe ?.

You’re looking at the picture in Gouby, Pete? I see what you mean, but I think the resolution is not great enough to come to a real conclusion, I presume someone has closely examined the original coin and been happy.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry i am not doubting the coin ,just want to know what the dots are and yes the picture in gouby.

The picture is ok but even clearer looking under a glass and the line made up of about six raised dots ,almost like large rust spots.