British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

to coin a phrase

Guest Guest

Is there some kind of coin collector's jargon for specific parts and features on a coin? For example, is there a correct term for the little rim that runs around the edge of a coin? And is there a concise way to describe a coin that, say, has a bumpy edge with different colours displayed, like a U.S. quarter dollar (sorry, I don't know of a British example)? And does anybody out there know what you call a shape that has twelve sides, like the British three pence coin? I'm afraid "octagon" is the highest I can count in geometry :P !

Yes there are plenty of coin collectors phrases to describe different parts of the coin, and most of them are in my Numismatic dictionary, here:

http://www.predecimal.com/dictionary.htm

Just to start you off:

The grooved edge is called a milled edge although it's quite possible the 'American' name is different because American coin collectors annoyingly use different terms! (Yes thought so, just looked in a book, it's called 'Grained' in American!)

The reason the USA Quarters have different colours shown on the edge is beacause they are made from a copper core plated in nickel. The British 2 pence from 1992 - 1998 was acually copper plated steel but the edge was also copper plated so you couldn't see the metal underneath (and to stop the steel rusting). I don't know of any other contries that leave the core visible. Personally I think it looks cheap! ;)

For those of you that are not aware, the British Threepence coin was made of Brass from 1937 - 1967 and did indeed have 12 sides. In fact there are also varieties with sharp corners or rounded corners but the basic 12 sided shape is called a Dodecagon but I expect it's different in American!!

Chris Perkins

www.predecimal.com