50 Years of RotographicPredecimal.com. British Numismatic Trade Association Member - One of the most popular websites on British coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Collectors' Coins Great Britain 2014 Standard Guide to Grading British Coins British and Empire Campaign Medals 1793 to 1902British and Irish Campaign Medals 1902 to 2010England's Striking History Roman Base Metal Coins - A Price Guide Roman Silver Coins - A Price Guide  Available for Kindle Available as .epub
The Current Rotographic printed book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

50 Years of RotographicRotographic.com Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals.

Photo

maundy 3d vs silver 3d issued for circulation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bob.phillips

bob.phillips

Starter member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:37 AM

Can anyone let me know how to tell the difference between a maundy 3d and a silver 3d issued for normal circulation??

This isn't just a forum - Purchase British coins, collecting accessories and books on www.predecimal.com

#2 Rob

Rob

Forum God

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,603 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:25 PM

Can anyone let me know how to tell the difference between a maundy 3d and a silver 3d issued for normal circulation??

According to ESC in the note at the bottom of page 184 the ordinary 3d's have a duller surface than the maundy money which is more prooflike with highly polished fields. The latter tone more easily and are often bluish or quite dark. Davies says the same thing.

#3 Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins

Proprietor of Predecimal.com and Rotographic Publications

• Admin
  • 5,263 posts
  • Interests:Nummi gratia fori defensor

Well obviously British coins. Classic cars (mainly Triumph and other BL masterpieces of the 70s). Heavy old rock music from prog to metal (Pink Floyd, Sabbath, Zep, Rammstein etc etc). I still fancy Kylie Minogue.

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:43 PM

It can be quite difficult to tell with coins that have a little wear. Usually Maundy coins are kept pretty nice, so if you have an UNC YH threepence it's probably a maundy.

Chris Perkins
British Numismatic Trade Association (BNTA) Member.

Predecimal.com
Coins, accessories and Information.
Rotographic.com
Numismatic publications.

CCGB20143Dmini.jpg GBCsmall3d.jpg BECM3Dmini.jpgBICM3Dmini.jpgESH3ds.jpg RBM3ds.jpg RSC3ds.jpg  kindle_48.png epub_48.png

The Current Rotographic book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

#4 Guest_Eric Dawson, MD_I'm_a_Guest

Guest_Eric Dawson, MD_I'm_a_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:58 AM

Yes, ESC is not quite correct, or at least the perspective is off. Maundy 3d's can vary quite a bit, especially Vickys of the 1840's - 50's and the Edward VII. Both may be either proof-like or satin finish and this with no established reason.

Generally, it is the quality of the strike (especially hair detail about the ear on Vicky or the beard & mustache on Edward VII) and some cases/specimens are clearly Maundy and others are borderline. A good demonstration is to look at the Maundy 4d pieces and to check out how they vary in appearance and strike.

I may be able to answer specific questions as they may come up.

#5 Guest_Eric Dawson, MD_I'm_a_Guest

Guest_Eric Dawson, MD_I'm_a_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:07 PM

PS: It is interesting to note the recent increase of 3d's being offered that are rarities in currency, but that are in fact Maundy coins that have been "circulated" or abraded on the surface. Please note that even some Maundy bits have incomplete striking in the hair details...

#6 bob.phillips

bob.phillips

Starter member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for your inputs. I was rather hoping for a simple answer, but clearly one has to be something of an expert to tell the difference.

It's my first 'question' on the site so far, but as I'm still somewhat of a beginner, I'm sure there will be more. It's a great forum
Thanks again for your inputs.

Bob Phillips

#7 wybrit

wybrit

Back where I belong

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:Collecting top grade British Coinage, all minor pieces 1838-1970

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:52 PM

It is interesting to note the recent increase of 3d's being offered that are rarities in currency, but that are in fact Maundy coins that have been "circulated" or abraded on the surface. Please note that even some Maundy bits have incomplete striking in the hair details...

Yes, there is a lot of that going on, even being sold by coin "experts" claiming that pieces are currency strikes. I recently received such a coin, which was a "rare" currency portrait variety. It was cleaned to look like a currency piece (hairlines were present), but it had the signature prooflike mirror finish still intact. It turns out that the maundy issue of that year used the same portrait, according to Davies. :angry:
Born in Wyoming, raised in Britain.

#8 Guest_Eric Dawson MD_I'm_a_Guest

Guest_Eric Dawson MD_I'm_a_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:40 PM

We have possibly belabored the point, but a recent auction by an esteemed US firm offered an encapsulated 1848 3d as currency MS65 and sold as such (for somewhere near to 750 USD) even though it clearly was a Maundy specimen. I would be very suspicious of any well struck 3d pieces in better states of preservation, and especially those of the years 1840 through 1870 as being Maundy.

#9 Sylvester

Sylvester

Forum God

• Expert Member
  • 3,031 posts
  • Interests:USA Standing Liberty Quarters
    Post 1992 decimal 10ps
    Early Milled
    King Stephen pennies

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:45 AM

I'll confess that i couldn't tell the different between a UNC Circ. and a Maundy.
Twenty Groats short of a Noble...

George II Young Head Sixpences 1728-1741
US Standing Liberty Quarters 1917-1930
GB Ten Pences 1992-2008