British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest Steve Jones

Rare Half Pennies ?

Guest Steve Jones

Hi

Could anyone tell me if there is a rare year between 1910 & 1950 for a british Half Penny

Thanks

Steve

Hi

Could anyone tell me if there is a rare year between 1910 & 1950 for a british Half Penny

Thanks

Steve

1914 and 1922 seem to be the most difficult years to obtain in top grade. In low grades, there are no rarities. 1919 -1922 are quite difficult in full lustre, frequently they have streaky lustre in unc.

Guest Steve Jones

Thanks for that. The reason I asked was I have recently found a tin of around 2000 half pennies and just wondered if any year was rare. What is the best way to value the find ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

If they are circulated just pence...then you have to find a buyer.

I've got a few thousand in the attic which I just can't bring myself to throw away.

You didn't hear this from me but they work in the 2p "cash falls" machines in amusement arcades. ;)

Thanks for that. The reason I asked was I have recently found a tin of around 2000 half pennies and just wondered if any year was rare. What is the best way to value the find ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Most 20th century currency halfpennies are only worth something if they are in mint condition. If you take these then the value will vary from 20-30p up to about £40 if they are as struck with full lustre. Generally for the above condition, Edward VII are £20-40, George V £15-40, George VI £5-10 and Elizabeth II up to £10.

With the exception of 1956 which has 3 rarer varieties being the wide rim obverse which has the I of Gratia pointing to the right of a border dot and I of DEI between 2 dots coupled with the 2 types of reverse and the third type is the narrow rim obverse where the I of GRATIA points to a dot and the reverse has the L of HALF pointing directly to a border tooth. All these three are rare, the wide rim obverse and L pointing between teeth particularly so. Condition would determine the price. There are two scarcer varieties of 1940 and the calm sea 1957 but these are only slightly more valuable than the regular varieties. Almost mint state early 20th century pieces will also have some value.

You may find there are proofs from the sets issued in 1937, 1950, 1951 and 1953 if you are lucky. There are proofs for most years from 1926 onwards, but it would be amazing if one of those turned up as all are extremely rare and have always been in collections rather than circulation.

Other than this, they are unlikely to have any value to collectors. i.e. pence - if you could find a buyer.

There is another thread on this site which has images of 1956 halfpennies.

Guest Anthony

20170626_050647.jpgI got some german/canadian/asia/south africa coins i know nothing about and have a couple that aint even a launguage i can speak or type in to look it up can someone help me woth these 200 coins i got i would gladly appriciate it 

20170626_050647.jpg

20170626_050647.jpg

20170626_050639.jpg

20170626_050647.jpg

20170626_050647.jpg

20170626_050639.jpg

20170626_050647.jpg

20170626_050647.jpg

20170626_050639.jpg

20170626_050647.jpg

20170626_050647.jpg

20170626_050639.jpg

Sorry there I think £5-£10 for a george VI halfpenny is too much  , I would say they are worth a max of £5 with a minimum of  £2 , unc grade of course

Edited by copper123

That mixed lot above would likely find no takers (I think the Netherlands 1 G. is silver by recall).

what is the date on the iceland coin? the earlier ones are worth a bit

The ones you can't read with the bespectacled fella on are from Thailand.

I think they might be loosely described as holiday loose change  TBH

There is one 20th centre halfpenny that is very underated in it's rarity and that is the 1911 A+b shallow neck, narrow date. I have one in about Fine so it exists but I've not seen another in about 10 years of looking to upgrade.

• Like 2

Like the others, I can't see them being worth very much.

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

The 1902 LT can perform well on the right day.

• Like 1

On 06/27/2017 at 3:50 AM, Gary1000 said:

There is one 20th centre halfpenny that is very underated in it's rarity and that is the 1911 A+b shallow neck, narrow date. I have one in about Fine so it exists but I've not seen another in about 10 years of looking to upgrade.

I would probably have to concur with that assessment.

I've only ever found the one specimen in my collection... Probably about the same grade....

Guest Phil

Hi i got alot of Elizabeth 2nd half pennies in mint condition date 1966.are they worth anything ?.thank you.

1 minute ago, Guest Phil said:

Hi i got alot of Elizabeth 2nd half pennies in mint condition date 1966.are they worth anything ?.thank you.

Hi Phil. Not really - a common date even in mint condition. Ideally they would been most valuable two years ago, when they could have been made into mementoes or even jewellery for people with their 50th birthday that year. The catalogue price is 50p to £1 but in reality you wouldn't be able to sell them for that, except as curios.

Unfortunately no great value.Over 95m 1966 1/2d's were minted.

You will have great difficulty in finding a buyer.

Guest Are these worth anything

Hello I have x2 1956 half penny’s are they worth anything 

733F9017-1D78-45DE-8615-984D6305EABC.jpeg

9ECF1C04-383D-4D91-8B9D-F335E8F88115.jpeg

Sorry both are type 3+c , the most common type , value, it would be 1-480th of a pound if you could get a bank to take them, which im afraid they won't , they are though solid bronze, not steel dipped in bronze as with todays 1p & 2p  :(