British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
mattwho

a lill help

hi

in 1996 my grandad died and left me a box full of coins, most are english and i would say ther a few hundred of them i allso have some foren and some notes

as it would take about a year to post them all on hear im wondering if ther is anyone who lives near me that could give me an idear of the value of them??

im from scunthorpe 30 miles from hull and 30 miles from lincoln

in the colection thers mostly old pennys (i think) from 18?? to when they finished

ive got a 1888 american silver dolla

lots of gold funny shaped coins

some german 40s notes and a russian one

can you help me? :D

CIMG0124.jpg

4 german and the little one is russian

Edited by mattwho

Ok,

2 Rentenmark from 1937 is quite commen, value for a crisp clean note straight from the bank would be around 40 quid for one with a seven figure serial number. If it has an 8 figure serial number then in the condition that yours is in then it is almost worthless, sorry.

1 Rentenmark also from 1937, here the same applies as for the 2 Rentenmark.

The other 2 german ones look to be 50 Mark notes from 1919, again these are quite commen and the value would be around 10 to 20 quid for crisp new notes. Again yours are no where near "as issued" so unfortunatly very little value.

As for the russian one, no idea but I also have one and I would presume that they are also fairly worthless in this condition.

With banknotes, stamps and also coins, it is the condition that counts unless they are extremly rare.

Hope you are not too dissapointed.

allso have theas coins

ther mostly iffy looking but ther hear lol

half penny

1895-1967

one penny

1862-1867

one shilling

1927-1956

1/12 shilling

1894-1964

helf crown

1932-1951

sixpence

1926-1958

ferthing

1900-1951

three pence

1937-1967

allso have this i know its not uk but what the hell

american silver dolla 1890

and i got a bag of stuff from other places but im not going into that yet lol

Like my Dad, most people accumulate their 'collections' from loose change. Unless your Grandad actually bought any of the coins, in which case they may be in better condition, they are unlikely to be worth much at all.

Here's a very rough guide. Take a handful of change from your money box. Discard anything over 15 years old - particularly £1 coins which wear badly. See how clear the face and writing is on most coins? Unless your Grandad's coins are very rare or are in at least as good condition as the poorest of the change you have in your hand it's likely to be worth very little indeed. Sorry.

Alternative - take the very best oldest coin you have - perhaps a Victorian penny - take a good quality photo and post it on this site (there are guidelines for posting photos elsewhere). Someone can then give you an idea if it's worth anythig at all.

Having said that, US dollars and UK silver coins pre 1947 will have some real silver in them (dollars 95% or so and UK 50%) and will have some bullion value. Gold coins, well, gold is gold (unless it's not!)

If you just want rid, take them to a car boot sale or online auction site. Otherwise, either save them for the future or make a hobby of them. There are plenty of coin books out there, not least Chris' - see link at the top of the page to Predecimal. Take the nicest coins, identify then and hey - you're a numismatist (well, a beginner at least!)

PS - unless you actually ARE a six year old, then writing like one isn't likely to get people to take you seriously. I'm afraid people do judge queries by how they are presented - a quick spellcheck and edit generally makes it more likely you'll get a reply.

Edited by TomGoodheart

American Dimes, Quarter Dollars, Half Dollars and Dollars issued upto and including 1964 are 90% silver. Coinage issued thereafter is what is known as 'Clad', basically copper and nickel layers bonded together in sheets, cut into coin blanks and then struck. They contain no silver at all. Except for the half dollars issued from 1965-1971 which were struck in copper/silver bonded layers, these contain 40% silver, after 1971 the silver was replaced by nickel.

UK coinage, tiny silver threepences upto crowns issued up until 1919 were 92.5% silver, from 1920-1946 they were 50% silver, 1947 onwards they are a copper and nickel alloy. Most stuff issued after 1937 is pretty worthless unless in brand new condition (if it looks like a 2005 or 2006 penny from change then they might be worth anything upto £5 or £10 if you're lucky).

If they're worn then there not worth a great deal monitarily, although they might be good to hang onto for sentimental value.

There's not alot of money in post-1800 British coinage (unless they are in very high grade of preservation with no wear, no scratches and most importantly uncleaned).

Unfortunately 1967 half crowns were minted in such huge quantities that even an uncirculated one isn't worth a great deal - a couple of pounds at most.

Geoff