British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

moleydee

hi help grade 1901 "proof " penny

hi my dad has left us(my brother and i) a few boxes of coins some have plastic pouches and state eg. 1901 1d proof

how did he know this was proof how can we tell the difference

was he just being hopeful?

please advise

regards new body moleydee xx

hi my dad has left us(my brother and i) a few boxes of coins some have plastic pouches and state eg. 1901 1d proof

how did he know this was proof how can we tell the difference

was he just being hopeful?

please advise

regards new body moleydee xx

On a proof, the fields (the empty bits between the design) will be mirror like. The legend will be composed of letters with sharp angles rather than rounded edges like this. The design will often be "frosted" and not reflective at all like the picture below where the one on the left is a proof, the one on the right a currency piece with the same design. The currency piece is prooflike, but not a proof. The best way to interpret the picture is to view it as a reflectivity picture. The dark areas are the most reflective. You will see that the range of reflectivity is much less on the currency piece despite both pieces shown having full lustre. The prooflike nature also shows on the currency piece. A fully lustred coin without prooflike features will be fairly even in terms of reflectivity.

Other features are also notable. The rims will usually form a sharp angle with the edge on a proof. If the edge is milled (not in the case of a 1901 penny) the milling will be much sharper, sometimes to the point where it almost cuts your finger) if you grip the edge. I will add, it is something that many people have difficulty identifying because full lustre does not constitute a proof. Post a picture and it will be easier to decide if it is a proof. If it is a proof, don't leave it in plastic as this will cause it to chemically react and also dont touch anything other than the edge with your fingers.

post-17-1140741325_thumb.jpg

I see the link to another posting on this forum hasn't worked very well. The image I was trying to show was the picture with the 2 1876s. One was the proof and one a currency coin. The sharp angles on the numbers can easily be seen.

It could also be a 1901 Maundy 1d, which would of course by default be very prooflike (and small and silver, not bronze).

hi thanx for the speedy response

when i take the coins out of the plastic what should i do?

also got a bad stain of verdi gris on this one

but there are others perfect (1896)

can i remove the stain

will it badily devalue the coin?

also got half penny proof from1901

can i scan this coin as i have just bought a new camera

but its got to come from the states so could be a week!

also i am worried about handling

big thanx dee xx

hi i have just used a new cotton sock

couldnt find any cotton gloves:)

i used my new scanner for the first time

dont know how to get the best images yet

i have hp image zone and corel paint shop

i used paintshop to rotate the images a bit so they look straighter

hope they are good enough

regards dee xx

post-17-1140909727_thumb.jpg

It's not a proof, I'll tell you that right away!

The green bits really don't help. You'd have trouble persuading a coin collector to buy your coin, as long as others are out there without green bits...Especially as 1901 is not that expensive.

For example, this halfpenny from the same year is currently priced at £18.00:

halfpenny1901.jpg

ah well so its not a proof after all

so he was just being hopeful:)

maybe they are all just worthless :(

gutted

is it worth scanning anymore?

do have some real proof coins

from 70s and 80s with certificates of authenticity

ie. gold queen mother 880th birthday IOM coin

and a platinum round pound

etc. thanx for the bad news

and again your speedy reply

regards dee xx

It's not a proof, I'll tell you that right away!

The green bits really don't help. You'd have trouble persuading a coin collector to buy your coin, as long as others are out there without green bits...Especially as 1901 is not that expensive.

For example, this halfpenny from the same year is currently priced at £18.00:

halfpenny1901.jpg

do you think maybe the image is just wrong?

how can you tell its not a proof?

i suppose years of practice :)

still hopeful

regards dee xx

ie. gold queen mother 880th birthday IOM coin

Golly she was old.

I expect that and the platinum coin will be moderately valuable but I don't know if people will be able to give you book prices for them, perhaps just melt prices.

While we are on the subject of proofs, it might be worthwhile to identify a few points which would determine whether a coin is a proof or not.

Proofs will usually have a sharp rim/edge angle. Occasionally this is not quite perfect, but almost without exception results in no excess metal to the rims. In the picture the top coin is obviously the proof, the currency piece has excess metal. Both are uncirculated.

post-17-1140962063_thumb.jpg

Another defining feature if present is the edge milling. Again a comparison between an uncirculated currency coin and a proof (both 1887 JH 6d's) shows how much the quality can degenerate. The proof on the right has very sharp milling by comparison.

post-17-1140962316_thumb.jpg

Yep Rob....I will stick to COIN collecting. ;)

Yep Rob....I will stick to COIN collecting. ;)

In that case Peter, keep your back covered in case you get surprised by 5th column patterns masquerading as currency pieces such as this Peck 606 :ph34r: If you are not careful, you may accidentally acquire one. :lol:

post-17-1140993572_thumb.jpg