British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Just look at this beauty, but would you dare bid on it. Could you ever tell if its genuin without a lot of close looking. What would you look for :o

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...mMakeTrack=true

I'd look from where the seller was first. South America doesn't seem a likely place for something like this to turn up, but that's just me.

A nice coin (possibly whizzed) and maybe a famed 1905 forgery. :ph34r:

My own feelings are mixed. :unsure:

He collects or is buying UK silver and has good feedback. :)

He hasn't feedback for selling. :(

If you are keen silver collector surely this would be a pinnacle of your collection. :o

South America cons are no different to UK cons.ie very little can be done.

Caveat emptor.

PS what is the going rate for a forgery?...collectable in their own right.

Thinking out loud...everyone will sit on the fence until someone with a resonable feedback/reputation puts a bid in then all hell will break loose.

Snipe it :D Let me know ...& I may well watch out for his 17/18 C cu.

"PS what is the going rate for a forgery?...collectable in their own right. "

A good one must be the best part of £200. There is a bit of wear on this one, the I and P are getting weak. I wonder if he bought it and found it to be dodgy so is sticking it out on ebay to see if he can recoup. Must go for £1500-2000 or everyone will stay well clear. I,m not tempted yet. I'd want too get it checked out before I would part with more than £100 on the off chance.

Gary

Initial impression, hmm hard to tell.

I'm tempted to say that's a fake though, i can't give any certainty on that. Firstly due to how the coin is photographed/scanned it can make the coin look greyer than it is.

What reassures me a little is that the seller hasn't hyped it "L@@k incredibly rare, the key date of all key dates..." and all that nonsense, infact the seller has really just not done anything to draw attention to the fact that it's an extremely rare coin, infact all he has done is put 'rare', in lower case rather matter of factly. Which makes me think what Gary thinks, this guy thought it was genuine and is trying to dispose of it.

The other thing that makes me think it's a dud is that it looks a little... well lacking something.

The fields look fairly clean, too clean in fact. A coin of that grade should have a little scuffing on the obverse fields, yet the fields look pretty good considering those two edge knocks and the digs in Edward's face.

Looks a bit leady too, the ear, the ear just gets me.

I can't point out anything in particular that screams *fake*, but something doesn't quite add up with it. I think the fact that it looks so clean and fairly new might have something to do with it.

But then again that could all be explained with the fact that the coin might have had a good polish at some point in the past.

I'd let it go myself, i doubt it's genuine. But i can't point to anything in particular and say, "it's fake because of XYZ"

I believe the fakes are thicker than the genuine item. That's only what I've been told though, I've never seen one.

Hmm.. Several of his previous buyers are people I recognise from their tags, or have done busuness with, so as a seller he looks generally sound.

That of course doesn't mean he knows his British coins and could tell a fake bought in good faith.

It's the hassle of trying to return the thing if you weren't happy with it...

If anyone IS thinking of bidding I'd suggest asking for additional photos and about a returns policy - if you don't get satisfactory answers - back off!

I know 85% of you hate slabs and they're not always reliable, but this is one case where I'd want it slabbed, unless it was from a dealer of unimpeachable expertise.

I wouldn't touch it. If someone wins it and it turns out to be real, I tip my hat to him/her.

Edited by wybrit

That might change though Wybrit with all these fake slabs coming in from China recently.

Oh well, someones taken the plunge.

Auction closed with reserve not met at $760.

A known fake went at auction recently for if I remember correctly about £250.

Genuine or fake, that one has a rubbish price.