British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Emperor Oli

C. Cooke's Farthings to be sold

In March's Coin News, there is a full-page advertisement on page five announcing the sale of the complete Farthing collection of the late Colin Cooke. Apparently there are over 1700 different specimens, which Coin News elaborates on on page 10. I've photographed both things below.

DSC00255.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Remarkable news! Thanks for letting us know, Oli!

Hopefully someone will have the funds to buy it as a complete collection. Pie in the sky I know, but it would be a shame if the full collection were to be dispersed without full documentation of all the varieties. If I won the lottery tonight, I'd offer to buy it intact.

Rob...would you suppose that Neil will be fully documenting all varieities when he posts the collection to his website?

Surely the BM would want everything Peck didn't cover ?

and Rob....I'm going to double up on my lucky dips tonight.

I wouldn't bank on it. Colin may have fully documented and labelled his collection, but we have no means of knowing so. Unless Neil takes a ready made list and uses that for the sale, it would be reasonable to assume that many varieties will be missed because as a dealer he simply doesn't have the time to spend on learning about and correctly identifying 1700 farthings which were ultimately Colin's pet project.

A few months ago he was selling some of Peter Jackson's unsolds from the Cheshire Collection and I purchased the 1732 as it was actually a 1732/1. When I pointed this out, he shrugged his shoulders and said he wasn't surprised because PJ as a dealer hasn't the time to check all the coins for overstrikes etc. That is a reasonable argument, and is clearly a common situation because in the last 5 months alone I have acquired 9 or 10 coins at auction or from dealers that were incorrectly described or insufficiently checked to accurately describe the variety. Only 2 of those omissions or incorrect attributions were in my view acceptable, the remainder being down to sloppy work on the part of the vendor or their agent. I have also seen many more that I was not interested in. Therefore, for the more astute observer, opportunities are likely to be there for the taking. Farthing collectors, fill your boots.

Peter, you can still get your Anne and 1717 farthings for considerably less than the price of a lottery win. Try London Coins again. 5th March lots 882 and 883.

Following on shortly from these two lots there is even a nice run of proof and pattern farthings should you feel the urge to improve standards. :D

Rob

Thanks for the heads up.

On proofs and patterns..I think I will stick to COINS. ;)

Rob,

Neil does have all of Colin's notes, and he is happy to describe all of the coins - including pedigree etc.

Hell of a shame Colin is no longer in a position to do so.

You have got me intrigued with your 1732 / 1 from the Cheshire collection. I did not see a 1732 from Cheshire? Is it the 2 over 1 over 1/2d 2 variety? Any chance of a pic?

As an aside I bought the 1734 Cheshire farthing!

Some of you may know me from the C.U. boards, to all others -I am a UK based farthing fanatic.

Hello.

Teg

Rob,

Neil does have all of Colin's notes, and he is happy to describe all of the coins - including pedigree etc.

You have got me intrigued with your 1732 / 1 from the Cheshire collection. I did not see a 1732 from Cheshire? Is it the 2 over 1 over 1/2d 2 variety? Any chance of a pic?

Some of you may know me from the C.U. boards, to all others -I am a UK based farthing fanatic.

Hello.

Teg

It was lot 2358, listed as a straight 1732 1/2d. There is something special about early copper with copious amounts of lustre that I find difficult to resist.

post-19-1140342547_thumb.jpg

Rob,

Hello.

Teg

Sorry, I've just realised I didn't put the denomination in the posting you refer to. That's because I know that Peter and Coppers know I collect shillings and halfpennies and I forgot others may also read it. It's far to easy to get absorbed in your own world.

Hi,

great coin Rob - young head G II copper is hard to beat - and that is a stunner.

I was worried that I might have missed out on a high grade 2 over 1 farthing!

The only 1/2ds I collect are G II, G III contemporary counterfeits - do you collect these?

Teg

The only 1/2ds I collect are G II, G III contemporary counterfeits - do you collect these?

Teg

No. I do have one in indifferent condition just as a representative piece, but prefer to direct my attention to the official mint output together with certain patterns from selected sources. If I found a perfect one I would be tempted though as they have a place in the numismatic history of this country.

:o Thats sad to hear, I would've hoped the collection would've been kept by Colin's family... I hope the collection doesn't get split up too much, but in saying that I wouldn't mind a piece from his collection.

All collections get split in the end JMD it's one of those things. It's good news for farthing collectors with money though. Bad news for farthing researchers though.

I'll have to keep an eye on the tin offerings.

I've been in touch a few times with Neil recently and I can report that his buying of the business is progressing well. At the moment he's up to his ears in financial and legal matters but he hopes to clear it all over the coming weeks. He's now operating from another address but as far as I know there are no plans to change the name.

Neil is a fairly modest man and a good deal more knowledgable than he can appear. I'm sure the business is in safe hands and we wish him well.

G

Guest Neil Paisley

Hi,

This is the first time I have come across this site and I am very impressed and of course very interested to see what everyone has written. A full catalogue and webpages should be available for Colin's collection in early April. The coins will be sold in exactly the same fashion as the Nicholson halfpennies. I intend to do a full colour A4 catalogue with every individual coin and variety listed. I saw that the 1700 farthings were mentioned in a previous thread and I can confirm that there are 27 different examples in the collection and each one will be individually listed and the variety noted. Hopefully the catalogue will become a standard reference work for farthings. With regard to the farthings I have Colin's copious notes and therefore we will continue to regularly produce farthing lists and of course we will always pay particular attention to the varieties, rarities and new and unpublished material. Geoff thank you for your kind comments.

Hello Neil,

I'm pleased you finally noticed this! (and the rest of my website)

I intend to do a full colour A4 catalogue with every individual coin and variety listed.

What a publication! I can't wait until copies are released.

My collection will never be the same again :(

My collection will never be the same again :(

Correct, it should get better. Even though I don't collect farthings, I'll still get a couple for posterity to fill gaps where I don't have an example of that type. Get a first class piece and you won't go far wrong.

I shall certainly be interested. I'm not a farthing collector either (although an admitted weakness for them is always threatening to tip over into something more) but I can't think of a better way of remembering the great man than to own part of his collection, even if it's only a single coin.

G

Welcome aboard Neil!

I have a passing fondness for farthings also, it's a size thing.