British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Rob

1860 BB Halfpenny 2 different rev.A's

An unrecorded variety of beaded border reverse. Peck and Freeman both list only one type of reverse i.e. A. There are however at least 2, one with short hair (rare) and one with long hair (common). It is not just a case of die filling or weakness because the field is continuous underneath the hairline at the back of the head. A comparison of the two shows it clearly. Apologies for the toned reverse on the common variety.

post-44-1139791805_thumb.jpg

I should also add that although this feature also applies to Peck 1751 (Nicholson 390) it is not a currency use of a former proof die. P1751 has much of the linear circle missing and a mast connected to the flag on the ship. My piece has 99% of the linear circle and no top to the mast.

I believe these to be the 2 varieties specified by Iain Dracott in his 2004 article on half pennies.

In addition to the Short hair/Long variation between the two, he also notes the following additional differences:

SHORT Hair (Reverse A):

WIDE SPACED "6 0" in date

Shield Crosses have DOUBLE INCUSE lines

Thinner LEFT wrist of Britannia, SHORTER Hair on back of neck

WEAK flag pole on ship

LONG Hair (Reverse A#):

CLOSER SPACED "60" in date

LOWER RIGHT section of St. Andrews Cross now has TRIPLE INCUSE lines

Thicker LEFT wrist of Britannia, LONGER Hair on back of neck

STRONGER flag pole on ship, NO incuse line near shield base

I believe these to be the 2 varieties specified by Iain Dracott in his 2004 article on half pennies.

In addition to the Short hair/Long variation between the two, he also notes the following additional differences:

SHORT Hair (Reverse A):

WIDE SPACED "6 0" in date

Shield Crosses have DOUBLE INCUSE lines

Thinner LEFT wrist of Britannia, SHORTER Hair on back of neck

WEAK flag pole on ship

LONG Hair (Reverse A#):

CLOSER SPACED "60" in date

LOWER RIGHT section of St. Andrews Cross now has TRIPLE INCUSE lines

Thicker LEFT wrist of Britannia, LONGER Hair on back of neck

STRONGER flag pole on ship, NO incuse line near shield base

I'm not familiar with that article, so you will have to fill me in on it.

Some of the things match but not all.

The date is wider on the short hair, narrower on the long.

The triple incuse line is only on one side of the cross (nearest the bottom of the shield), the other side of the cross has 2 incuse lines.

The wrist doesn't appear to be thinner at the narrowest point and any difference would have to be minute. Having said that, it does appear to be narrower over a greater distance i.e. the shape is different.

The flagpole is non-existent on mine but that could be die fill.

I'm not sure which incuse line near the shield base you refer to, but both have a short vertical incuse line of the same length to the left of the cross at 6 o'clock which goes approximately 35-40% of the distance to the join with the St. Andrew's cross

The series of articles by Iain Dracott ran in the April, May, & July 2004 issues of Coin News....

I attach a scan of differences from an EXCELLENT reference CD published by Malcolm Lewendon... He has based his work upon Mr. Dracott's articles and this CD is a logical extension of it. It is now in its second edition.

If you wish to purchase it, I will provide you with his email address.....

Or you can send me yours, and I will forward it to him......

post-44-1139859587_thumb.jpg

Good. I've just acquired the 3 issues and can see that they are very informative. What does the CD add to this list? Give me the email address anyway and I will sort something out when I have a spare moment. How much is it? Thanks.

I can therefore add to that list 1861 6+G with the first 1 over a higher one assuming it's not on the CD. It's not the best coin in the world with only traces of residual lustre and struggles to make EF, but at least is clear.

post-44-1139863333_thumb.jpg

The F-277 1st 1/1 is on the CD, although not in the article.....

The CD has images of MOST of the different obverses and reverses with information on determining which variety is which......

An essential aid for comparison

I have several other variants not in the article, that he has pictured on the CD...

I'll PM his email address to you.... I think he is currently out of town, so I don't know how often he is able to check his email.....

I may be interested too, especially if he'll grant me permission to use the odd image in the next book (if they are good enough quality, and with credit given of course).

I'll have him get in touch with you.....

several of the interesting variants are mine anyway, so there shouldn't be a problem......

When is your next edition coming out??? I still have to send you the disk of images that we discussed awhile back.....

The next book will be out about October.

There won't be room to illustrate all the varieties, but to have a couple would certainly be interesting.

Varieties could be a special book in itself....for the seasoned collector.

It will probably drive the market up and lead to some interesting discoveries. :)

I have just come into possession of the short haired variety. Although not brilliant, I think it does show the differences quite well, especially the thin wrist and the double incuse lines on the shield. More of the linear circle is missing on my example, a gap from just before the P up to the center between E and N of Penny.

Could someone please send the the E-Mail address for Mal Lewendon or ask him to contact me as I too would be very interested in his CD. I believe I had contact with him several years back but no longer have his E-Mail address. thanks.

post-44-1141833917_thumb.jpg

His CD is £15.00

Thanks for the info Chris but how do I go about getting a copy, do you know?