British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest carly cheree

1962 penny

Guest carly cheree

when i was younger, i found a 1962 penny in my garden.

my great uncle was looking at it just now and noticed it had a lighthouse and a boat on it. he told me to have both the boat & lighthouse was rare.

can anyone give me anymore information on this penny?

thanks in advance :]

Can you post a picture please?

Guest carly cheree

coin3.JPG

^ highlights where the lighthouse & boat are.

coin1.jpg

as you can tell, it needs a bit of a clean.

I can see nothing unusual in a 1962 penny,having checked several sources.Unfortunately,the coin is dirty and the picture is inconclusive.I would advise against cleaning the coin at this stage....

Guest carly cheree

yeah, i've done some research and haven't discovered anything significant as of yet.

i just thought there would be something, going by what my uncle said. especially the part about the lighthouse & boat, because apparently majority pennies during the specified time period only had lighthouses on them :s

'Fraid like Plan I can't see the boat from the pic posted. Don't clean the coin. Any chance of a better picture? (Do you have a scanner? They can be used to get pictures of (relatively) flat items like coins).

Beyond that you'll just have to wait for someone more knowledgable about modern coins than me (that's just about anyone!) to get back to you.

I'd expect a lighthouse to the left of Britannia - which appears to be there.

I can't see a boat - but it's hard to tell from that picture.

I think it's extremely unlikely since the ship disappeared in 1894 and never returned.

I wonder whether what you can see is some sort of die clash ?

With a better picture we might be able to be more conclusive.

Otherwise, it'd be best to take it to a dealer who can examine the coin properly.

There's a distant memory stirring about this. When I started collecting coins back in the late 60s I remember something about this but can't quite remember. There was something about this mythical coin :unsure: