British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Gary D

1953 3d varieties.

This is a question for Chris, although if anyone else knows the answer please don't be shy. I have just got my copy of Collectors coin GB 2006, great book by the way. Anyway for the entry of the 1953 3d there are two side notes, one regarding the definition of the head and a second about the position of the I in Elizebeth. So my question. Is there two varieties or four.

Gary

This is a question for Chris, although if anyone else knows the answer please don't be shy. I have just got my copy of Collectors coin GB 2006, great book by the way. Anyway for the entry of the 1953 3d there are two side notes, one regarding the definition of the head and a second about the position of the I in Elizebeth. So my question. Is there two varieties or four.

Gary

The varieties regarding the definition of the head is in reference to the circulation issues, while the varieties regarding the position of the I is in reference to the proof issues.

Gary

The varieties regarding the definition of the head is in reference to the circulation issues, while the varieties regarding the position of the I is in reference to the proof issues.

I have a circulation with both positions so I'm unsure if the definition also applies.

A 3D collector !!!!....and I don't mean isometric :D

I have actually never seen a decent 46,49 on Ebay or dealers lists.

It's assumed in Peck that the proof is always sharply struck (which is no doubt the case), but there is no mention of the 'I' pointing in Peck.

I'll have to clarify that a bit in the next one if possible. Does anyone know if the 'I' pointing variety also occurs in the proof coin?

These are the three I have, top left proof, I to right and sharp. Top right is specimen, I to right poor definition. The bottom middle is a currency (I assume) I points to the angle and I'm unsure of the definition. Looking at the hair I'd say poor but looking at the ribbon leads my to sharp. Conclusion, either or both the sharp and poor come in both pointing types.

post-32-1138050893_thumb.jpg