British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I'm gradually cataloguing my collection and trying not to be too optimistic with the grades. Could you expert out there give your opinions of this one. The head has a few digs and a little wear to the ear. The tial side has ware to the thistles.

post-32-1137786994_thumb.jpg

The head. Can more than 1 picture be posted at a time.

post-32-1137787111_thumb.jpg

here's my grade ( im a noob and i am not an expert)

i know you asked for an experts rating but hey here's mine

please don't slaughter me if im wrong

:(:(:(:(

F to VF

BURPALOT B)

Guest Guest
here's my grade ( im a noob and i am not an expert)

i know you asked for an experts rating but hey here's mine

please don't slaughter me if im wrong

:(:(:(:(

F to VF

BURPALOT B)

That's ok, What pointers did you use to come to that conclusion. I was thinks more VF-VF+ (that's UNC in ebay speak) as there is a bit of wear to the high spots but scratchs seem less important unit the high grades. Just my opinion.

I agree with custard1966, a gVF. looks very nice.

If there were no marks on the obverse a grade GVF+ to NEF-.

If I bought it at GVF I would be satisfied...but if I was going to spend a "couple of thou" on a coin

it wouldn't be 20C silver ;)

If there were no marks on the obverse a grade GVF+ to NEF-.

If I bought it at GVF I would be satisfied...but if I was going to spend a "couple of thou" on a coin

it wouldn't be 20C silver ;)

I bought it as VF but that's another story. I'm more interested in developing my grading so here's another question. Pennies and Half Pennies with Britania, the first point of wear seems to be the fingers around the trident. If this is the only wear would that generally be EF.

Very slight wear and grades of GEF or aUNC are (I was going to say Fine :unsure: )

But I'm no perfectionist.

There is nothing worse than buying a Choice gem BU which shadows its neighbours.

Nice copper with a good strike suits me.

What I dislike are carbon spots,finger prints,general stains and the dreaded dings.