British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Giggles882_I'm_a_Guest

Medallion

Guest Giggles882_I'm_a_Guest

I'm hopin there is someone that may have any information on the identity of any of these coins. How do we post pics of coins?

You have to register to be able to post images.

Guest Giggles882

Ok, I figured out how to post the pics. Here they are, any help would be appreciated. We have been told they are medallions but my husband's grandfather left them to him and as anniversary present I was trying to see what info I could get to attach to the sentimental value. Thank you so much in advance!

post-19-1074796138_thumb.jpg

Giggles,

I hope you don't mind, I deleted the duplicate post as it contained the same picture. I have no idea what they are. The medal expert here, who is Geoff T may be able to help if he is around.....Geoff, you there? Any ideas anyone?

They are either repros or in really good condition!

Good point Olli, they do look suspiciously repro like.

I tell you a funny story....I had someone contact me once claiming they had an Elizabethan large gold coloured coin, I said well you'd better send a scan then. They were of the opinion that it was very very valuable.

I got a scan eventually, sure enough a picture of Elizabeth I graced the front, but the coin was perfectly round, obviously milled and had 'English Heritage, Hampton Court Palace' writen on the back!

I never got a reply when I told them it was worthless brass no more than 20 years old and issued at a popular tourist attraction!

Guest Giggles882

We were told most likely reproductions but were wondering from what origin they had?

I'm flattered to be called an expert when I consider myself merely an enlightened amateur! At present I'm stumped but it's obvious from what I can make out of the legends that the one in the middle is completely unrelated to the outer ones. The legend isn't even Roman script. The guy in them is in 16th century costume and looked at first glance like Philip II of Spain until it became obvious that the woman (?) in the middle was no Mary Tudor!

A bit out of my period here I'm afraid, but I'd hazard a pretty safe guess that these are repro and not from an English source.

Sorry I can't be of more help here.

Geoff

The guy in them is in 16th century costume and looked at first glance like Philip II of Spain until it became obvious that the woman (?) in the middle was no Mary Tudor!

What came to my mind was (from left to right)

Phillip II of Spain (as Geoff said)

Elizabeth I (Rather caricature i know)

And Francis Drake or Walter Raleigh or the like...for the last one.

The outer medallions have the legend "Harsdorfser" or possibly "Marsdorfser" as far as I can make out. This is either a name or, less likely, a German adjectival place-name ending, although in that case "Harsdorfer" or "Marsdorfer" is what you'd expect. There is a suburb of Dresden called Marsdorf.

I also came across a German dealer in British coins called Joachim Harsdorf http://home.arcor.de/joachim.harsdorf/

Kennst du den Name, Chris?

Geoff