British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest davebull

new guy here

Guest davebull

hi im not exactly a coin collector but my grandfather left me a number of coins he deemed "rare" at the moment i keep them in a plastic coin album, i am desperate to know their worth as whether or not to insure or store them more securely,

if u want i can put up a list of them, any reply would be great, ta

Hi Dave,

By all means post a list here and we'll do our best. For some coins we can say straight away whether they're worth anything or not but for most the condition is the key factor so you'll get much more accurate info. if you sign up as a member and post pictures of the coins.

We can also advise you on correct long term storage...."Plastic coin album" worries me.

Guest davebull

well i have numerous ones, some mainly from 1900-1960 one in a kinda cruddy condition a norwich token (metallic unsure of metal) from robert blake twopenny peice about 1811-1812 it says with the accompanying paper

shillings - 1933-1950-1945- 1948- 1966-

three pence peices(small & round) - 1877- 1919-1897-1941-1940-1916-1934

three pence peices (jagged design yes im new to this lol) -1942-1966-1955-1967-1952

florins - 1935- queen victoria florin dated around 1864 to 1883 we just cant tell

halfpennys -1862-1889-

and the one i personaly like is teh 1592 sixpence (which is in better quality then teh one shown here -sixpence)

there are SO many more that i havnt had time to rifle through but any ideas on the ones i have or anything that catches the eye would be unbeleivable helpfull, cheers n thanks,

bull

First rule; don't clean them, any of them. I'll tell you that now.

"Plastic coin album" worries me.

Firstly,Welcome to this forum........ :D

I cant comment on your coins as I am a relative 'newbie'

I am housing my collection in plastic wallets which are acid free-is there a problem with plastic?

well i have numerous ones, some mainly from 1900-1960 one in a kinda cruddy condition a norwich token (metallic unsure of metal) from robert blake twopenny peice about 1811-1812 it says with the accompanying paper

shillings                                                                              - 1933-1950-1945- 1948- 1966-

three pence peices(small & round)                                    - 1877- 1919-1897-1941-1940-1916-1934

three pence peices (jagged design yes im new to this lol) -1942-1966-1955-1967-1952

florins                                                                                  - 1935- queen victoria florin dated around 1864 to 1883 we just cant tell

halfpennys                                                                          -1862-1889-

and the one i personaly like is teh 1592 sixpence (which is in better quality then teh one shown here -sixpence)

there are SO many more that i havnt had time to rifle through but any ideas on the ones i have or anything that catches the eye would be unbeleivable helpfull, cheers n thanks,

bull

None of those coins would appear to be particularly rare (though they're outside my field of expertise).

The silver ones will have bullion value, otherwise the value (for all of them) depends entirely on condition and will range from practically nothing to 10-20 pounds for an 'as it left the mint' quality specimen.

Without photos it's impossible to be more precise.

There are varieties of 1862 halfpenny that are very rare and expensive, but again, without a photo it's impossible to see if it's any of those.

Hope this helps.

As to insurance, most home contents policies cover valuables up to a couple of grand.

On the face of it your coins should be covered within this. Unless anything particularly rare turns up separate cover isn't likely to be necessary.

I'm afraid most coins passed down the generations will be of generally poor condition (Fine to Very Fine) since most were assembled from loose change. Purchased (?) coins like the Lizzie 6d might be nicer..

Have you any ideas what you want to do with them? - It occurs to me that they could help you take the first steps as a collector. A bit of research with a book like Chris' "Collectors' Coins GB" (see Predecimal link at very top right of this page) and you might find you're hooked! Just a suggestion!