British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marc

Advice on getting rid of Scottish £1 notes.

Guest Marc

Hi all :)

I have some questions about banknotes and not coins which is why I'm posting in here. :D

During December 1992, the European Summit was held in Edinburgh and to commemorate this event, The Royal Bank of Scotland plc printed 200,000 special £1 notes with the EU logo on them. (blue background, yellow stars in a circle).

With me being a bit funny in the head :lol: I started to keep the ones I came across and now have about 200. I'd say about 95% I have received in my change and less than 10 or so are spankingly new with their serials in order.

Does anyone know any collectors who would want these? I know they're probably only worth face value, as they are still legal and less than 15 years old, but a collector could have them instead of me just taking them down to the back and depositing the money into my account, and by "have them" I mean exchange for normal pound sterling goodness. :D

I don't really know if it's worth it. P+P would probably eat all the profit and then some.

Anyone here with any advice, suggestions?

Thanks.

Marc :)

How many of them are crisp as near as Uncirculated as can be?

I don't think any collectors will want the well worn ones, so you may as well pay them in. I may pay face value plus, say 10% for the crisp ones.

thanks

Guest Marc

Hi :)

How many of them are crisp as near as Uncirculated as can be?

I have 11 of the £1 notes that I would describe as being in pristine condition. I believe these are the ones I got straight from the bank, another 8 I would describe as being in good condition.

Of the pristine ones, sadly there are only 2 groups of 2 that are 1 digit out from each other. I can't for the life of me remember the correct word to describe that :(

Looking through them I came across some more £1 notes that had two different designs on them. The Alexander Graham Bell design and the Robert Louis Stevenson design. Here's the Front design and the Back design for comparison.

There is 1 good (would have been pristine but a corner has a slight fold line) AGBell note. That blue triangle is a hologram. I can make out the letters AGB and the telephone, and there are 10 RLstevenson notes, 8 pristine, 2 good condition. 4 of the pristine have matching serials, but one number out. (I still can't think of that word :lol:)

I don't think any collectors will want the well worn ones, so you may as well pay them in. I may pay face value plus, say 10% for the crisp ones.

Yeah the well worn ones are going straight to the bank, sadly after counting I only have about 150. That £200 rowing machine I want will have to wait. :D

Hell dude, if you just want to give me face value for the 30 + P+P (Royal Mail recorded delivery should be about a £1) then that's fine with me. I'm sure you'll find good homes for them. :D

I live in Scotland by the way, my email addy is marcATafkammDOTcoDOTuk Let me know if you're happy with that.

Marc :)

I've emailed you, thanks for your consideration.