British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Rob

1806 Halfpenny P1376 variety

An 1806 currency no berries 1/2d (Peck 1376) with a ball below the trident prongs in exactly the right place for the ball found on the proof halfpennies. This is rare and unrecorded to my knowledge. Since finding this piece I have checked 446 images of sufficient quality without unearthing another. Some of these will be the same item resufacing on eBay but not many will be. Peck states on p.375 that the ball is an infallible means of identifying proofs, however this is the exception. The rim/edge, legend and quality of the die are all not of proof quality with much striking weakness in the legend together with die wear and clashed dies apparent. It therefore appears to have been made from a proof Britannia punch but which one I can't say as yet. The coin is uncirculated and the variety unambiguous. The only proof 1806 1/2d without berries is Peck 1365 and it is definitely not derived from this reverse die as the ship is of the rather crude design associated with the currency pieces.

post-44-1136823214_thumb.jpg

Could it be a later restrike? I'm not sure without looking if the 1806/7 soho dies got sold later on with the cartwheel dies.

I also have a second piece with a ball below the trident prongs, but this is slightly closer to them and is bigger than the proof ball size on the piece before. It doesn't match the position of any of the proof reverses in my collection. I therefore have assumed it is either a flaw or a punched error during manufacturing. Again it has clashed dies, slightly less wear than the previous piece, is uncirculated and unambiguous.

If anyone has a KH32 reverse (Peck 1356) I would appreciate an image of this as I am missing this piece. Also if anyone has info along similar lines could they tell me. Thanks.

post-44-1136824071_thumb.jpg

Could it be a later restrike? I'm not sure without looking if the 1806/7 soho dies got sold later on with the cartwheel dies.

I would say no because it is clearly of inferior standard to Taylor's work. He may not have had the ability of Droz or Kuchler, but his proofs are better than this. I don't think he had the ability to put on the security edge either as all the proofs and patterns listed by Peck have a plain edge except for those where he used the RENDER edge. Also, I am only missing the KH32 variety for the 1806 1/2ds and it doesn't match anything I have.