British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Chris Perkins

Some simple rules.

Here is the Obverse "A".....

post-509-0-80159700-1389628368_thumb.jpg

Sovereigns

1989 500th Anniversary Proof still sealed.

1990 proof, sealed.

1991 proof, sealed x 2.

Half Sovereigns.

1380068400_original_1.jpg

1380068400_original_2.jpg

1380068531_original_1.jpg

1380068531_original_2.jpg

Serious offers by PM or email, please.

Any older ones? 1817-1933?

Not at the moment, sorry.

OK, so there's an auction catalogue I'm interested in. But it is being sold together with some early medal sales, for which I have no use.

I wondered if anyone might be interested in the medal catalogues to offset the overall cost?

The info I have so far is that they include the Tombs, Payne, Irwin, and Gray sales of war medals. Sold through Glendining & Co., between 1918-1920 and in very good condition. Bound, though I'd need to ask for more details.

I know nothing about medals, so have no easy way to assess how much they are worth. But I'd be looking for £100+ if I got them.

If anyone might be seriously interested I would be happy to ask for further details, but the seller hasn't been particularly forthcoming so far so I didn't feel like pestering further unless there's a chance I might buy the things.

Anyone?

It's too much for those catalogues. If bound, it would not be easy to separate either. It isn't like a stapled catalogue where you can run it round a string on the centre page. The catalogues wouldn't take it, so has to be properly bound.

Cease the moment Richard.I have too many (if onlys) It is only money.

I have left many a coin in dealers trays.

Muttley will take your medal catalogues :)

It's too much for those catalogues. If bound, it would not be easy to separate either. It isn't like a stapled catalogue where you can run it round a string on the centre page. The catalogues wouldn't take it, so has to be properly bound.

That's rather what I thought Rob, so it's helpful to get confirmation.

As to binding, there are two volumes. Logic suggests that the 4 medal cats are bound as one and the 2 coin ones the other. Although the dealer seems reluctant to sell as I just got a slightly terse reply to my enquiry and none of the additional details requested...

Were the price right I'd go for it and either live with a mixed volume or have it re-bound, if that were feasible.

Cease the moment Richard.I have too many (if onlys) It is only money.

I have left many a coin in dealers trays.

Muttley will take your medal catalogues :)

LOL Are you offering Peter? It's OK, there is another item I'm thinking of going for, so I think I shall leave this one for now. Douglas Saville said he'd look out for the catalogue I want, so I'll see how he gets on.

Who was it that got me into this blooming numismatic literature lark? Oh, yes ... <_<

:P

Copy of Peck for sale. 2nd (1964) edition, no dust jacket, reinforced corner pieces, clean and in good condition. £100 all in to any member who's looking for one.

Hard to know where to start

ranging from an 1835 William the 4th threepence all the way up to 1937 crowns

641 listings in the british pre decimal section

http://uk.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?type1=a&type2=a&cat=735918&mo=user-store&title=Silvertrader

but then also international coins like the 1942 100 mils palestine coin up to a 1897 south african ZAR sixpence

http://uk.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?type1=a&type2=a&cat=737612&mo=user-store&title=Silvertrader

silver proofs and bullion bars and coins are obviously not the kind of thing to post here so i'll leave it :)

but if you guys see anything that you might like let me know

Sincerely Martin

It's always difficult to shift the low grade stuff, Martin - the world is awash with it unfortunately. Of course, the trouble is, it's been going round and round for 50 years, so anyone who knows their stuff will have fished out anything decent long ago, leaving a vast amount of more or less unsaleable material clogging the place up.

Even harder on eBid where you just don't get the traffic. Did you fall out with eBay?

good luck with it!

Declan : )

not at all mate i also sell on ebay but i really hate the fee's so opened a shop on ebid

Agreed a lot of coins are lower grade but not all !

I have made a deal with a refinary and was allowed to sort through 60 kgs of coins buying 4 kilo's worth

there are some really nice coins in there

Trust me :)

I've already sold the 1846 24 skilling norwegian coin

A 1853 victorian sixpence

various half crowns, florins and shilling from 1890 to 1930

The edward the 7th coins seem to be going well

I'm no expert on grading mate and to be honest after seeing how some of the coin dealers here in the north east have graded thier coins i consider it to be a bit of a con most of the time

I just take the best possible photo's that i can and let others judge

so far i've never had a single complaint :)

all buyers were very happy including many members on here so i cant be doing that bad

Sincerley Martin

They all look like scrap to me, and currently the biggest part of my coin business is buying volume pre 1947 scrap.

I don't think you're likely to get anything near those asking prices for those (apart from the odd novice who may come along). And I can't really speak for the foreign coins.

Scrap thats abit harse mate

especially when looking at some of your half crowns and 3 pences

my 1940 and 1943 threepences seem to be in much better condition then the ones your selling for £20 + ef etc

and not to mention the 1935 crown for £30 mine are only £16

My mistake i thought this was a community I did not mean to step on toes by advertising here

My mistake i thought this was a community I did not mean to step on toes by advertising here

I'm not sure you could really call it a mistake, Horsa, just perhaps a little insensitive...that is of course for you to decide?

With only 28 posts in a year, it just doesn't seem right to use this forum only as a base for blatant profiteering!

There are a large number of newbies who visit here looking for help on all things coins! The whole thing works because people give their time and knowledge generously and freely!

Your post doesn't offend me personally but, on reflection, I'll bet you can see this wasn't your most sensitive or fairest of contributions? ;):)

I understand that mate but i did post in the items for sale section not in any thread where people would be asking for help as you suggest

as for only 28 posts, agreed its not a lot but then i don't go out of my way to comment on various issues when other people are more able to

As this particular thread is for items for sale but hardly anyone ever posts here i thought it might be nice to post something

not sure that can be described as blatant profiteering but fair enough i can understand how some people might take offense like chris and throw obviously deliberate smack down comments around

not all of us have major businesses where we can buy coins from people as scrap grade them up and sell them at a massive increase at will in a completely unregulated industry

some of us just have morals !

I'll try to have more of an input in other threads in future and instead of just posting a friendly message in the items for sale section I'll just add a link to my online shop as my signature like everyone else

:)

Perhaps there is the odd better-than-scrap coin among your coins, I got bored looking after the first ebid page. If you don't believe me, come back in here in six months and tell us honestly how many you sold at those prices?

Sometimes they scan badly (higher grade coins) but generally low grade coins are easy to spot even in bad images. Post a few pictures here and users can respond with their best guessed grade.

I have nothing against you posting here and showing us your ebid auctions. And you're also welcome to link to a website or your ebid auctions in your signature.

Quoting:

"not all of us have major businesses where we can buy coins from people as scrap grade them up and sell them at a massive increase at will in a completely unregulated industry

some of us just have morals !"

If you had any idea how hard I have worked, and how little profit I make on some coins (often after waiting ages) you wouldn't have said that. Scrap coins get scrapped, there are no scrap coins on predecimal.com. It's a waste of time trying to sell scrap coins individually.

You clearly haven't got a clue, are a bit obnoxious and have a lot to learn. Not just about coins, but also how best to stay calm and not get rude for no reason.

Take a deep breath. We really are a very friendly community here but fools aren't suffered lightly, and so far you are behaving like one.

Thanks Chris

I'm never obnoxious to fair and friendly comments and staying calm has nothing to do with not putting up with obvious flippened and obnoxious slap downs as was yours.

maybe you should be more polite and diplomatic in future and not be so rude as to warrant a reaction

Actually i know how much work is involved not only in setting things up but also in regards to fighting a parliamentary complaint against the ukbf over the importation vat on numismatic collectors items for over a year

that was my very first post here in this community and the final report will be coming out in 4 weeks on the parliamentary ombudsman website

I have also brought capsules and coins sleeves from you in the past but gave up when you did not respond to a few of my emails regarding a bigger order

So no i don't think i have much to learn

Keep going Horsa and take it on the chin.I had a look at your coins and the quality are as circulated.

You won't sell any here but Ebay will pay dividends.(group them up).

We all have to make a living and I respect anyone trying to do that with coins. :)

BTW my 2nd team is Sunderland :rolleyes:

...in future and instead of just posting a friendly message in the items for sale section I'll just add a link to my online shop as my signature like everyone else

:)

Hah, an interesting thing found have I...and a fact indeed! Tis true, honestly!

I undoubtably get visits to my site from people browsing the forum (which is great for ranking, no doubt about it, and I'm grateful for that beyond doubt) but, and I cannot believe it myself even, not one of my sales has ever directly linked from pre-decimal! I've had a couple from John, and 3 from Colin (thanks chaps), but that's it! The shopping cart I use provides the direct source, whether it's google, or a 'favourites' link from a supporting website!

It's not the pot at the end of the rainbow it may at first seem...I'm skint, but happy days! :)

BTW my 2nd team is Sunderland :rolleyes:

Hey, Sunderland are my first, yer...b&£@! Oh hang on, we're on the same team, you support Ipswich! :D

lol thanks guys and i know the feeling

but maybe if more people post items for sale in this thread then you might get more sales coinery

plus you never know maybe I'll post a 1905 half crown one day then your thanks me for being cheeky :rolleyes:

I work on the basis of ebay and silver content but as i understand it sometimes collectors like to have placers i.e. a decent half crown untill they get a perfect one

so thats what I'm aiming for lol