British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Gary

1861 Halfpenny Obv.7 Rev.G

The Die setter really cocked this one up

post-44-1136304278_thumb.jpg

The Die setter really cocked this one up

It looks a bit more serious than just the T. It looks as if the top of an R is visible, a bit more I and the second T breaks the linear circle although the first T is the most obvious. Check the rest of the legend.

Hi Rob,

I have, at last, had a good look and can see no signs of another double letter except the F of F:D but that is correctly aligned i.e directly on top of the lower F.

I have compared this coin to another F 282 and it seems that the whole of BRITT has been re-engraved or re-punched slightly further away from the linear circle. Although the underlying T is too close to the linear circle to be normal.

A x10 Mag was used.