British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
meikle10

Other Foreign Coins

I am a coin collecting 'virgin' and have recently been left some coins by my late Grandmother and I'm not necessarily looking to sell these as I have some very fond memories of sitting on my Grandfathers lap looking at the coins.

I don't have the experience on grading them but I would appreciate any information on the coin.

I have took some pictures but they are mot brilliant as they are only taken from my Mobile phone camera. I can e-mail them if required.

So here are some brief descriptions of the coins.

1. 20 Sen Coin: Looks Chinese or Japense but could be any of the other Asian countries. Silver in colour, good condition and looks the same size as an old shilling. I cannot see a date in numbers but I suppose some of the characters on it could represent a date.

2. 1 Cent Coin: United States dated 1842 with a picture of what looks like a woman on the obverse side. Fairly worn and has a small hole.

3. 10 Centesimi Coin: Italian dated 1863. Has the following words on the obverse side 'VITORIO EMANIELE II RE D ITALIA'. Good condition.

4. 5 Centimes Coin: Dated 1898 and a little bit worn.

5. 10 Centimes Coin: Dated 1872, good condition.

6. Austrian Coin?: This looks a very strange coin as it only seems to have an impression on one side. However, I'm not sure whether I can just make out a 'Z' followed by an 'E' towards the R.H.S on the obverse side. The side that can be read says 'SCHEIDEMUNZE K.K. OESTERREICHISCHE' and has what seems to be a coat of arms with a crown on top of it!

Hope some one can help.

1. 20 Sen Coin: Looks Chinese or Japense but could be any of the other Asian countries. Silver in colour, good condition and looks the same size as an old shilling. I cannot see a date in numbers but I suppose some of the characters on it could represent a date.

20 sen would be Japanese, not Chinese. Would need to see pictures to determine the date. Most common dates would be worth about £1, some less common dates could be worth as much as £50 or more, depending upon condition.

2. 1 Cent Coin: United States dated 1842 with a picture of what looks like a woman on the obverse side. Fairly worn and has a small hole.

there were 2,383,390 of these minted. in decent shape, it would be worth about £4-5. with the excessive wear and the small hole, yours would be considerably less, probably only £1, if that.

3. 10 Centesimi Coin: Italian dated 1863. Has the following words on the obverse side 'VITORIO EMANIELE II RE D ITALIA'. Good condition.

mintage on this piece is 80,000,000. in average circulated condition it would be worth £1-2. One of the very few Italian coins that do not carry the "R" mintmark for Rome.

need more information on these. they could be French coins? both would carry the legend "Republique Francaise."

need more information on these. they could be French coins? both would carry the legend "Republique Francaise."

They both have the legend "Republique Francaise." I also have some Napoleon III coins I mentioned in another posting.

6. Austrian Coin?: This looks a very strange coin as it only seems to have an impression on one side. However, I'm not sure whether I can just make out a 'Z' followed by an 'E' towards the R.H.S on the obverse side. The side that can be read says 'SCHEIDEMUNZE K.K. OESTERREICHISCHE' and has what seems to be a coat of arms with a crown on top of it!

Would need to know for sure if it is a copper or silver piece, and how big it is, but probably, if you can see the ZE on the reverse side, then it is a pretty worn out 1 KREUZER.

Up until 1850, most of the coins carried the Hapsburg (2-headed eagle) crest in a shield with crown on top. After 1851, the shield was removed, and the 2-headed eagle crest was enlarged, with the crown above it.

6. Austrian Coin?: This looks a very strange coin as it only seems to have an impression on one side. However, I'm not sure whether I can just make out a 'Z' followed by an 'E' towards the R.H.S on the obverse side.  The side that can be read says 'SCHEIDEMUNZE K.K. OESTERREICHISCHE' and has what seems to be a coat of arms with a crown on top of it!

Would need to know for sure if it is a copper or silver piece, and how big it is, but probably, if you can see the ZE on the reverse side, then it is a pretty worn out 1 KREUZER.

Up until 1850, most of the coins carried the Hapsburg (2-headed eagle) crest in a shield with crown on top. After 1851, the shield was removed, and the 2-headed eagle crest was enlarged, with the crown above it.

It is made of copper and the same size as an old british penny but twice as thick. The 2-headed eagle seems to be in a rectangular shield with a small point at the bottom with the crown above the shield?

They both have the legend "Republique Francaise." I also have some Napoleon III coins I mentioned in another posting.

#4 there were 2 types of 5 centimes issued in 1898. The last year for the old style, which would look the same as your 10 centime piece, or the first year of the new style, which has a "capped liberty" figure on the obverse, and an image of allegorical "sower" on the reverse. the old style is less common, worth about £2-3, while the more common new style is worth less than £1.

#5. check the mintmark on the reverse, below the "CENTIMES", should be either "A" or "K" Borth are common, worth about £1.

6. Austrian Coin?: This looks a very strange coin as it only seems to have an impression on one side. However, I'm not sure whether I can just make out a 'Z' followed by an 'E' towards the R.H.S on the obverse side.  The side that can be read says 'SCHEIDEMUNZE K.K. OESTERREICHISCHE' and has what seems to be a coat of arms with a crown on top of it!

It is made of copper and the same size as an old british penny but twice as thick. The 2-headed eagle seems to be in a rectangular shield with a small point at the bottom with the crown above the shield?

At that size, it would have to be the 2 kreuzer issue of 1848. without the wear, it would be worth £2-3, but yours would be much less, since the reverse is worn off.

QUOTE (meikle10 @ Jan 2 2006, 06:48 AM)

mintage on this piece is 80,000,000. in average circulated condition it would be worth £1-2. One of the very few Italian coins that do not carry the "R" mintmark for Rome.

Well, it would be very strange to find a 1863 italian coin minted in Rome, as until 1871 Rome wasn't italian, but was the capital of the Papal State.... ;)

Actually, the 1863 coin was minted in Paris and there aren't mintmarks.

In theese years there were mints in Turin (mintmark "T"), Florence ("F"), Milan ("M" and Naples("N"). And coins were also minted in Birmingham :o

Rome became the only italian mint only in 1892.

Bye and Happy 2006

Well, it would be very strange to find a 1863 italian coin minted in Rome, as until 1871 Rome wasn't italian, but was the capital of the Papal State.... ;)

Actually, the 1863 coin was minted in Paris and there aren't mintmarks.

In theese years there were mints in Turin (mintmark "T"), Florence ("F"), Milan ("M" and Naples("N"). And coins were also minted in Birmingham :o

Rome became the only italian mint only in 1892.

Bye and Happy 2006

Great information!! Thanks. I didn't realize that Rome wasn't part of Italy from the unification in 1861. I have learned something new, today.

So, this coin is a Paris coin without any privy marks? Cool.