British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest Bob Crawford

1861 over 81 Victorian Penny

B&C Collector,

It would be nice if you could post a couple of pictures of your overdate, to compare to Custard's, and mine.

I have the new Spinks 2006 reference book, and it states this coin is "Extremely Rare," but does not place a value on it. I am not an expert on what Spinks considers Extremely Rare, so I would have to defer to you all, for that explaination.

Thanks to all for the interesting posts, this is turning into a good thread for research on this coin.

Regards,

Bob

Thanks for posting the pic's. You overdate shows very clearly.

Regards,

Bob

I looked at my coin, and it also has a protrusion below the first 1. If it was originally a 1 (under the final 1), then it was a differant type style, unlike the final 1, which looks like a capital "I." There are no doubled "A" or die cracks on the coin.

Regards, Bob.

Pic of "1"%7Boption%7Da\: 1861 Dbl 2.jpg

post-32-1138679539_thumb.jpg

Hi, I just found this old thread and thought I would add some close up scans of the specimen I have. It is EF - UNC

6 over 8 close

post-2455-1257076485_thumb.jpg

1st 1

post-2455-1257076593_thumb.jpg

recut G in DG

post-2455-1257076619_thumb.jpg

BADGER

Hi, I just found this old thread and thought I would add some close up scans of the specimen I have. It is EF - UNC

6 over 8 close

post-2455-1257076485_thumb.jpg

1st 1

post-2455-1257076593_thumb.jpg

recut G in DG

post-2455-1257076619_thumb.jpg

BADGER

Hi Badger, From the pics of the 6 and the 1, it appears your example may be the best in existance. Can you post a full pic of the obverse and the reverse?

Bob C.

Hi Bob, here is the scan of the reverse, the obverse will follow. I have been told before it was the highest grade known.

post-2455-1257078449_thumb.jpg

BADGER

Here is the obverse.

post-2455-1257078640_thumb.jpg

BADGER

Here is the obverse.

post-2455-1257078640_thumb.jpg

BADGER

Badger, That is a really nice coin, thanks for sharing. If you ever want to entertain selling it, send me an email with the price you want for it. (RLC35@aol.com)