British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest Marcin Michalek

1602 Elizabeth I sixpence ?

Guest Marcin Michalek

Hello everyone,

I would like your input on a coin my father found. I believe the coin to be a fake as it is too polished for silver and is very light (no exact weight). Also, the details are not as fine as some of the listed coins on onlinecoins website. Thank you for your time, gentlemen.

coin1.jpg

coin2.jpg

It doesn't look real....but because it has the rose by Elizabeths ear I think it is a copy of S2585 (6th issue) a 6d.

The Obverse legend translated reads "Elizabeth by the grace of god Queen of England,France and Ireland.The Reverse lagend reads"I have made God my helper"

There are a lot of copy hammered coins about :angry:

The virgin queen was also the bearded lady it seems. She looks more like Charles 1st.

It doesn't look real to me either, doesn't look silver and secondly the details look very... well flat.

I would hazard a guess that it's one of the repro copies that museums have been selling over the years.