British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

One Edward 1st 1/2d which I think is type 3g, but legend has no L in ANGL which conflicts with both Spink and North. Somebody put me right please. Diameter 15mm, weight 0.65g.

Also, the unequal wedges in class 4c. How are they unequal - shape, size, angle or a combination. Thanks.

post-32-1134505365_thumb.jpg

Checking "Coincraft" I thought Class 4C more likely. "'Quote'- As previous (Larger Letters and wider crown), but larger face with much more hair, comma abbreviation marks and thick waisted 'S' in obverse legend'".

I realise there is only one comma abbreviation mark on the obverse, but all the rest fits!? :rolleyes:

P.S. Coincraft is a wealth of information but the pictures are crap! :unsure:

Even cut into 6" squares it won't cut your ****.

With better quality paper and pictures it would be the Standard reference for UK coins.

Checking "Coincraft" I thought Class 4C more likely. "'Quote'- As previous (Larger Letters and wider crown), but larger face with much more hair, comma abbreviation marks and thick waisted 'S' in obverse legend'".

I realise there is only one comma abbreviation mark on the obverse, but all the rest fits!? :rolleyes:

But Spink says 4c has a narrower crown and drapery of 2 unequal wedges which I thought described the picture below which I have taken from the Vosper website. The crown in the Vosper picture has the left and right hand projections pointing between Y & B and E & D whereas mine points to the base of Y & D. North says 4c has a crown less spread with smaller lettering, but without having both in the hand it is impossible to say as you don't know the measurements. However, the Vosper piece suggests S1433A(N1046/1) even though it is listed as S1433 which would mean mine couldn't be 4c. I would have said the abbreviation was a crescent rather than a comma. At no point does Coincraft mention a narrower crown.

post-32-1134519230_thumb.jpg

Rob

I note the pellets in your coin are considerably larger?

I've spent hours pouring over books and not concluding my investigations with my own coins.

I suppose that is the part of the joy of collecting hammered....

Considering each coin was individually made...how many were struck before a bit of maintenance was made to the die's ?

I agree,Peter, You cannot be dogmatic with the earlier hammered. There will always be differences of opinion in the field, and long may it continue!