British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I think there is actually an easy way to spot the Modified Effigy Penny which works for even very worn coins

Look at the colon between GRA and BRITT

on the normal coin it's midway between A and B

on the modified effigy it's right next to the A

Hello custard1966,

yep, I´ll give you that one, you are quite right but ask the average collector to pick out the 1926 Modified from two photos and I think the results would be suprising.

Hi Gary,

You're absolutely right. I'm pretty sure I picked up that tip from somewhere - perhaps Michael Gouby's site, though it's not there at present.

It's intriguing that the most obvious difference doesn't seem to have been spotted by any of the major authors.

I've found an ME 1926 Penny! VG or perhaps NF for the reverse.

A lot of money for bronze. I'd be worried that a slight loss of lustre would wipe hundreds off the value.

I see it was ended early, after just a few hours. I expect someone made a big offer.

TerryT Posted on Dec 13 2005, 06:36 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about an 1862 penny with an oval stop joined to the rim? 

This die flaw is commen on all penny coins with Freeman Obv 6 (1860- 1874). I have only come across one example which was free of this flaw. The colon dot is in most cases round with a small protrusion growing out of the linear circle torwards it. As the die wear increased the colon became more oval shaped and the protrusion grew until they joined together. I suppose it was just a weak point in the dies used. I have at least 2 examples where they have joined.