British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Can you also email me these picture at high res, best quality as you can. I'll certainly consider including them in the next book.

cp@predecimal.com

Alright, you can stop now, that's too much and I'd like to organise them into other areas!

Chris... were you addressing me regarding the pics?????

Also, I'm not bothering with recut lettering on the 1860 and 1861 coins... though I can send you some to include as example in your book.... certainly not worth an entry for pricing purposes........

Let me know and I will email you........

Not sure what else I have, but I'll check... I knew I had these handy though....

Yes, you!

Can you do me a separate email for each with a large picture in each.

I'll then decide how to split this lot up into different forums, otherwise it's way too confusing.

I think there is actually an easy way to spot the Modified Effigy Penny which works for even very worn coins

Look at the colon between GRA and BRITT

on the normal coin it's midway between A and B

on the modified effigy it's right next to the A

Hello custard1966,

yep, I´ll give you that one, you are quite right but ask the average collector to pick out the 1926 Modified from two photos and I think the results would be suprising.

I think there is actually an easy way to spot the Modified Effigy Penny which works for even very worn coins

Look at the colon between GRA and BRITT

on the normal coin it's midway between A and B

on the modified effigy it's right next to the A

Hello custard1966,

yep, I´ll give you that one, you are quite right but ask the average collector to pick out the 1926 Modified from two photos and I think the results would be suprising.

Hi Gary,

You're absolutely right. I'm pretty sure I picked up that tip from somewhere - perhaps Michael Gouby's site, though it's not there at present.

It's intriguing that the most obvious difference doesn't seem to have been spotted by any of the major authors.

I always look at the colons (ME dots are further apart)

Chards site actually has good close up pictures.

I always look at the colons (ME dots are further apart)

Chards site actually has good close up pictures.

thats another give away, yes.

However if looking for a 1926 mod on the internet it is not always an indicator as many sellers do not photograph the coins at a 90° angle which then eliminates the colon dots as identification (paralex error, I might have spellt that wrong :unsure: )

The colon between GRA and BRITT is a dead give away and as custard1966 said this was missed by the "major authors"

I was rather remiss. The wide date 1876 F325 913+K*) 1/2d pictured earlier in this thread is 6 over a farthing punch 6 but I hadn't noticed the top of the 6 sticking out despite having had this coin for ages. Michael Freeman has just listed one on ebay which prompted me to check mine.

1 Penny 1876H - I have a narrow date with a double 6, showing to the right of the circle a ridge at the bottom.

post-44-1134498709_thumb.jpg

How about an 1862 penny with an oval stop joined to the rim?

post-44-1134498976_thumb.jpg

The more I look, the more I find. 4p 1838. All the letters of REGINA are doubled to the right. FD and the bottom 2 stops are doubled on the top.

post-44-1134499590_thumb.jpg

That just looks like a double cut 6. It is testament to the die sinker's capabilities that more characters are not doubly cut given that at least a couple hits per letter with the punch would be quite normal. Also, going back a hundred years or more, characters were frequently constructed from several punches eg. E can be made from L and F

On the 1876H with the double 6; as I look at it again, it appears that a 6 was punched and then again a second time, but the punch had moved down slightly and left a bit showing at the top right. The bottom of the 6 looks to be much wider than the two shown on the 1876H wide and near dates, earlier in this thread. The second smack with the hammer left a second impression at the bottom where the two bottoms overlap (how cheeky!) :o

On the 1876H with the double 6; as I look at it again, it appears that a 6 was punched and then again a second time, but the punch had moved down slightly and left a bit showing at the top right. The bottom of the 6 looks to be much wider than the two shown on the 1876H wide and near dates, earlier in this thread. The second smack with the hammer left a second impression at the bottom where the two bottoms overlap (how cheeky!) :o

You are comparing chalk with cheese because the 2 1876H coins pictured earlier are halfpennies, not pennies. The wide date (rev. K*) applies to Freeman 325 and 328, the narrow date (rev. M) to Freeman 326, 327, 329 & 329A. Yours is Freeman 89 with rev. K which is the narrow date for the penny.

Okay, penny not halfpenny, missed that, I was going by the digit shape, Freeman 89, but the 6 is still double-thick at the base.