British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

Anastasius Gold Solidus

I've got one. It's a lovely EF coin and I bought it because he was the last Roman and first Byzantine Emperor...That and the fact that it's very attractive (and gold).

Anyone want me to make pictures?

Gees ohpees, I clicked on the link expecting a picture, not a narrative and a request for a pic, ah the nerve o' yah. Yes indeed a picture would be nice.

I was busy!

Ok, I'll do a picture.

Here it is. Not a great picture.

Good definition, really wonderful lustrous fields on the obverse.

It weighs 4.48g and is 20mm at the widest point. (a little larger and heavier than a half sov)

post-3-1131628287_thumb.jpg

What is the coins pedigree ?

Is it for sale?

Trade discount at the London fair no doubt. ;)

It came from my mate of Vale Coins, Blackheath (whom I share a table with)! It was begging me to buy it all day. I always end up buying lots, simply because I'm weighted with cash from selling. I also bought a bag of 145 Roman Bronzes (at least 50% attributable, and some rather respectable).

The gold Solidus has a little card label with it from a previous owner that my Vale friend Richard informs me is David Sear's writing, which, if that's so, is a good pedigree.

I paid £220 (it was up for £260).

I recently obtained an Alexander Severus Denarius from Ebay.

The coin was as featured on Wildwinds.com and I could place it back to Ancient Auction house in Florida to 2003

The seller was critical of the amount of fraud happening with ancients/Ebay.

He mentioned there was a Coin forgery discussion group in the US and advised me to join as I was moving my attention to

more expensive pieces (away from the base metals).

Apparently the Bulgarians are churning out fakes.

I looked at Vales website...some nice pieces.

Lovely gold though...and with Sear's pedigree...thats one even the most hardened dealer would take to his grave. :)

This one looks real, and it's the same as mine, if slightly more worn:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I'll be watching that with interest.

Here it is. Not a great picture.

Good definition, really wonderful lustrous fields on the obverse.

It weighs 4.48g and is 20mm at the widest point. (a little larger and heavier than a half sov)

I really really really need to buy some ancient gold sometime. I only have bronze and silver. I desire most something gold from Syracuse or an Alexander lifetime Stater.

The Anastasius Coin, the same as mine that was recently on eBay went for £207. So, at £220 I think I had a good deal.

I watched it.

Nice coin but nowhere near yours. ;)