British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Emperor Oli

Collectors' Coins Great Britain 2006 Edition

Yes, that's the normal one.

Yes, that's the normal one.

Have you got any pics of the very rare kind Chris?

Yes, there are pics in Gouby's book....I described them a little incorrectly above.

Normal 3: The lower serif of the 3 points at the top serif. You could imagine joining them up with a short line.

Open 3: The lower serif points at the top of the '0'. The top serif is also more opened and they don't point at each other at all!

I shouldn't think he'll mint if I scan and post his pic, but I better ask first.

There's a open3/normal 3 comparison in Freeman.

post-381-1157128350_thumb.jpg

Yes, there are pics in Gouby's book....I described them a little incorrectly above.

Normal 3: The lower serif of the 3 points at the top serif. You could imagine joining them up with a short line.

Open 3: The lower serif points at the top of the '0'. The top serif is also more opened and they don't point at each other at all!

I shouldn't think he'll mint if I scan and post his pic, but I better ask first.

Many thanks.

Just so I'v got this right there is a closed 3, open 3 and a closed 3 rev A penny with no sea behind the left of Victoria which is the very rare type?

Now I'm getting confused. Freeman quotes the usual two types. The Normal, top curves down and points to the ball foot. The open probably caused by a blocked die, no ball foot and tip of top curve missing. Chris quotes a third 'closed 3' and now there is a closed 3 no sea behind left of britannia :o

The open 3 looks like a completely different 3 to me.

Here is a comparison of both 3's... I was not aware of another variety.....

post-443-1157146565_thumb.jpg

There were only 2 varieties listed in the 2005 edition, I don't have the 2006 to compare it to...

Re: the Freeman numbers.... I had noticed in the earlier edition a confusion due to the order of the listings as well as an apparent mislettering of the reverses.... possibly due to using the 1970 edition... there were some changes made in the 1985 edition.....

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

I used the '85 edition for the numbering, but after a while the whole thing can get confusing. All I can do now though is check against the 1970 edition for the things mentioned.

Here's another open 3 example (pictures from Gouby himself). The right image is a normal '3', the other 2 are open.

post-1-1157367465_thumb.jpg

Here's another open 3 example (pictures from Gouby himself). The right image is a normal '3', the other 2 are open.

The left and middle are the same coin, so is the consensus that there are only 2 varieties and not 3 as implied in your book Chris?

There are only 2 listed in the book, but it is mis-leading, I'll change that.

I,ve just been looking at the vickie pennies on page 27 and am I correct in thinking that most of the freeman numbers don't match the Revs. Should it be 6B 1A 13D 14E 10D 15D 16D & 17D or am I missing something. Also the notes at the bottom should they read Rev.B Rev.A for the 1st two.

On page 39, threepences 1952 should be Peck 2398. Page 83, 1955 = P2495, 1956 = P2497, 1957 = P2499, 1958 = P2501, 1959 = P2501B, 1960 + P2501D, 1961 = P2501F, 1962 = P2501H & 1963 = P2501J

Finally, for the 1903 penny you quote a 'closed 3' could you elaborate on the description. What should I be looking for.

Gary

I've sorted out the brass Threepence problems.

I seem to remember seeing an older edition with a cross referece chart for the rev letters in the book compared to the Freeman letters. I'll see if I can find that and include it again, or change it completely.

Found it! The reverses refered to were Peck reverses.

I've gone through and carefully converted everything to Freeman spec in the 2007 edition.

The book is evolving each year..........

There will be a Perkins ref in numismatics within 10 years ;)

DEF INFO

No, I certainly don't have the time, resources or ability to make a real 'bible' type coin book. Re-printing one or more of the existing well known reference books, perhaps with a few additions is something I wouldn't rule out.

No, I certainly don't have the time, resources or ability to make a real 'bible' type coin book. Re-printing one or more of the existing well known reference books, perhaps with a few additions is something I wouldn't rule out.

Glad I could help with a couple of errors in 2006.

Talking of re-prints, I was about to put out on pdf Freemans 2nd edition 1985 with a whole new chapter on the Brass 3d and a further chapter on recent bronze additions. It was all ready to hit ebay when it leaked out about the reprint. I thought that as secondhand copies are anywhere from £125-225 that I could clean up at about £20 a pop and at the same time put it within easy reach of the populace. I had been assured that I had done enough to avoid copy right issues. But now Freeman is reprinting I guess thats scuppered it. Mind you if any one would happen to pm.... ;)

Email me the link, I'd like to see it.

Email me the link, I'd like to see it.

Would have been available only on CD Chris.

Ok, could you send me one?

I'll PM address.

Talking of re-prints, I was about to put out on pdf Freemans 2nd edition 1985 with a whole new chapter on the Brass 3d and a further chapter on recent bronze additions. It was all ready to hit ebay when it leaked out about the reprint. I thought that as secondhand copies are anywhere from £125-225 that I could clean up at about £20 a pop and at the same time put it within easy reach of the populace. I had been assured that I had done enough to avoid copy right issues. But now Freeman is reprinting I guess thats scuppered it. Mind you if any one would happen to pm.... ;)

I probably would have been interested... but how would you have avoided copyright issues?

I probably would have been interested... but how would you have avoided copyright issues?

Copyright is a very grey area, just changing it a bit can do the trick. In this case the book has been out of print for some years. The original publishers are gone, taken over, amalgamated, i.e. not around to ask permission. Again the book was printed over 20 years ago. I certainly was not aware of the where abouts of Michael Freeman so I incorrectly assumed his demise. This all being the case the way was open to publish. As part of my final preparation I made a final search for Michael, something that needs to be documented. You have to show that you have at least tried. In my search I found that michael was still around and contacted him to seek permission but obviously in his answer he confirmed the imminant reprinting of his book. Maybe I have done enough by adding two whole new chapters but I'm not about to put it to the test as I'm sure Spink can afford some pretty cute lawyers. One thing though that has got me wondering is why the 1985 edition is being reprinted as is, apart from the 1985 values. See my first point?