British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Gary

Copper Pennies 1825-1860

8 members have voted

1. 1. Copper Pennies 1825-1860

Hello Everyone,

Please list, in your opinion the 3 rarest copper penny (1825-1860) dates. I mean in your own opinion from your own experience. Only dates, no varieties.

Oh yes, and just how rare is the 1841 REG: (with colon)? :huh:

Thanks, Gary.

Hello Everyone,

Please vote for what in your opinion is the rarest penny date.

Thanks. Gary.

Hello Sylvester,

sorry but I have messed this topic up. Could you please delete this post and my first one and remove the 1860 and the blank button if possible. If not remove the whole Poll and I will start again. Thanks,

Gary

The vote was for the 1860 Young head and not bun version....I've never seen one.

The 1827 often appears on Ebay and is only rare because they were shipped over to the convicts Ohh I mean Aussies.

Hi Peter,

I agree with you that the 1860 Copper is the rarest and I did not intend to list it. I have asked for it to be removed from the list. The 1827 is considered by many to be the next rarest but as you said it often appears on Ebay. How often have you seen the others on Ebay or anywhere else for that matter?

Gary

In BU I think I remeber Colin Cooke saying there were only 2 mint state 1827s known. The 1843 in similar grade is almost as rare, probably similar to the 1849. I'm only talking full lustre here. In low grade i'm not sure, but 1827 aside, most of the other dates occur with roughly the same frequency on ebay which is probably a good indicator of rarity as a lot of sellers are lay people in numismatic terms. Probably 43, 46 and 49 are the rarest. You see more higher grade 56s than the other dates although a good one is quite rare.