British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi folks

Excuse my ignorance, What is the problem with the 1988 one pound coin?? i got one in my change today

Cheers

Jim

Nothign, realy. It just seems that they turn up a lot less than other dates. I don't know the mintage. Perhaps Chris knows?

A Sweatie spending enough to get £ in his change......whatever next. ;)

A Sweatie spending enough to get £ in his change......whatever next. ;)

Aye, was in the change of penny chew...... had to split a fiver as well!! :P

an i got this 2005 £2.00 coin too i think its a good misstrike??

Its my 9 year old daughter that seen this one lol, she is atking a real interest in coins :unsure:

James

forgot the pics :)

post-32-1130803706_thumb.jpg

an' anudder

post-32-1130803832_thumb.jpg

I don't care for mistrikes, but i do for 1988 £1 coins.

Mintage of 1988 £1 coins is alot lower than any other date (except 1998/9 which were not minted for circulation but only in sets).

The 1988 is the third 'rarest' £1 coin and the rarest in active circulation. It also in my eyes has the nicest design most designs are used twice, the 1988's was used just the once, why i don't know but it gives the 1988 a unique quality.

Alot of the circulation issues are hoarded because they look 'different' and because collectors like me like having them around.

I did once spend five of them together in one go. Now that's something that never happens. You never see more than one in change at any one time. I haven't seen any of them this year.

I haven't recieved one in change since 2003.

I was not really interested in the decimal stuff, but as my daughter took an interest in coins i got her collecting them.

She is doing great for a 9 year old and has a few rarer issues.

Problem is she wants to do the pre decimal coins as well, which i know will start to cost me a lot so i think i will start her on pennies!

looking at her coins she has nearly all of the 5p and only needs 2p and £1.00 for 2005 to complete the year. Not bad for going thorugh my bottle bank!!

she does a great job when she is at collectors fairs, gets stuff cheaper all the time.

Jim

I started my 10 year old daughter (when she was 9) on Edward V11 & George V pennies min VF(apart from KN'S & ME 26 & 33)

She now only needs a 1926 ME & 33.....I won't leave a space for the 33. :D

It got me hooked into the Eddies looking for varieties.....on our quest(it was me buying them) I up-graded a couple of my dates

and added varieties.

I actually got a blazing BU 1936 and a 1912H in EF+ for a couple of £.(She has got my old ones now).

She has learnt to do cataloguing,some grading and will identify coins by reference to my books...when we can prise her away

from sudoku and dance mat

I don't care for mistrikes, but i do for 1988 £1 coins.

Mintage of 1988 £1 coins is alot lower than any other date (except 1998/9 which were not minted for circulation but only in sets).

The 1988 is the third 'rarest' £1 coin and the rarest in active circulation. It also in my eyes has the nicest design most designs are used twice, the 1988's was used just the once, why i don't know but it gives the 1988 a unique quality.

Alot of the circulation issues are hoarded because they look 'different' and because collectors like me like having them around.

I did once spend five of them together in one go. Now that's something that never happens. You never see more than one in change at any one time. I haven't seen any of them this year.

I haven't recieved one in change since 2003.

I've just read this, and 2 minutes later been paid with one. I therefore think they are common. Actually I don't bother looking normally.

See how long it is till you see another.

See how long it is till you see another.

Yep, i got another tonight in change again, exact same lol... mint man must have been drinking!! OK so who has a normal one without the misstrike?? Is that going to be the rarer one?

:unsure:

Thats a misstrike £2.00 i mean not a 88 One pound :ph34r:

I just got 4 1988 £1's in my change.

Only kidding Syl B)

I think they must have been released in certain areas more than other. I've found only 2 in two years.

I think they must have been released in certain areas more than other. I've found only 2 in two years.

I think I've found about six in that time. They live in a box along with some of the commemorative £2s and 50ps and overseas £1 coins.

Yorkshire is clean out of 1988 £1 coins. You never see them round these parts... except for two a year on average. And one of those is usually one i'm spending from what's left of my hoard.

At one point i had seven of them and that had taken me about 4 years to save up. Currently i have one and it's the only one i've seen since 2003.

I'm still looking though.

I'm getting a 2004 pound coin nearly every week now.

Guest Guest

Surely Yarkshire has its own currency.

My Sister and her offspring are soon re introduced to proper English and Sunshine when visiting South.

I can honestly say we took a 2 week holiday in Yorkshire in August and it cost me £100's in warmer clothes we hadn't expected.

NEVER AGAIN.

In case you were guessing. :P

Guest On the hunt
On 01/11/2005 at 6:08 PM, Sylvester said:

Yorkshire is clean out of 1988 £1 coins. You never see them round these parts... except for two a year on average. And one of those is usually one i'm spending from what's left of my hoard.

At one point i had seven of them and that had taken me about 4 years to save up. Currently i have one and it's the only one i've seen since 2003.

I'm still looking though.

I'm getting a 2004 pound coin nearly every week now.

I am in yorkshire and i have just got one in my change today 

On 10/31/2005 at 11:27 AM, Peter said:

She now only needs a 1926 ME & 33.....I won't leave a space for the 33. :D

If she's quick, there's a 1933 on Ebay at the moment, latest bid a bargain £620 (there's one born every minute)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1933-George-V-Penny-/142353628210?hash=item2124effc32:g:mMwAAOSwIWVY9Rdc

5 minutes ago, secret santa said:

If she's quick, there's a 1933 on Ebay at the moment, latest bid a bargain £620 (there's one born every minute)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1933-George-V-Penny-/142353628210?hash=item2124effc32:g:mMwAAOSwIWVY9Rdc

Richard , when you look at the biding, I think its two of his friends biding it up.    Terry

I'm surprised it even got a bid in the first place given the £19.00 starting price. Maybe a decimal point placing error - nobody's infallible.

£19 is OK for an altered date "discussion piece". And now it's been withdrawn.