British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest S Gresly

1854 Victoria Shilling

Guest S Gresly

Hi

I have ben passed down various coins including an 1854 victoria shilling in what I would describe as very good condition, I believe it may be reasonably valuable.

Can someone confirm whether this is a rare item and if so has it any real value and how do I best go about getting a true value and selling it

THanks

Stuart

Yes it is rare. Condition is paramount. Post a picture, and it will be possible to give an idea of grade and so a ballpark price. If it is UNC I'll have it.

Nice coin but not Unc....the pictures don't fully help (could be between gvf & ef)

nef looks the grade although still very rare.

A very much in demand coin.

Not bad at all and around the EF mark. The obverse looks as if it has been cleaned lightly with the hairlines visible, the black spot I assume to be dirt and it's a shame about the rim mark at two o'clock. The brightness of the image doesn't help. The reverse looks better. I don't have a Spink 2006, but the values in 2005 were £150-VF, £550-EF and £1500-UNC. A dealer would probably buy at book less 30-40% although this discount could be reduced for rarer items such as this.

Do you want it Rob?

If not, I probably wouldn't mind.

Guest S Gresly

Happy to try and post more piss guys if that helps, I dont think it has been cleaned recently as it has been in a box with a mass of other coins for at least the last 30 to 40 years, probably not the best way to keep it.

THe other coins range from Silver Three and Four pence pieces to Churchill crowns.

I am Northampton if anyone wants to see the coin first hand, certainly I would do if I was even considering buying something off a total stranger !

Thanks for the input anyway

Guest Guest

very unfortunate mistype . I meant more pics !

That kind of money I'm out of here and would prefer some elusive cu or hammered.

A wee bit too much ;)

Good luck.

Do you fancy coming down to Luton and being on the radio with them while I look them over?

I do a coin phone in on BBC 3CR, and Luton looks to be about half way. I'll be there Friday 4th Nov from about 3pm.

You'll trust I'm honest that way, or I'd be lying to a quarter of a million people at the same time ;)

Email me (cp@predecimal.com) for details. And, that was the funniest typo I've seen for ages. I'll leave it un edited just for its comic value!

Do you want it Rob?

If not, I probably wouldn't mind.

It looks good enough to act as a respectable gap filler until a mint state one comes along so I guess I have to be interested. I would appreciate looking at it before buying though as Stuart has suggested.

Guest S Gresly

Not sure about the radio bit but happy to try and get down to Luton Friday after work, all other things being equal I can disappear off at around 4 and I work in MK so already part way there.

My email address is stuart@gresly.co.uk but I only have access to that from at home so will reply post 6.00 pm most days !

Email me and I can let you have a phone number, I can confirm later in the week if I can make Luton !

Thanks

Stuart

I don't think I have your email address.

I'm on air in Luton from 3-4pm, but it'll probably run over as it usually does. How long is MK to Luton?

Tell you what, how about Toddington services South bound about 4.15? That way, we'll already be out of town and on the M1 (it's easy to turn around to face either direction from Toddington services)

If all works out, I'll let you have the Shilling for whatever I pay for it Rob.

Guest S Gresly

Chris

I posted the email address in the previous message, for the record though it is

stuart@gresly.co.uk or

Work email is

stuart.gresly@abbey.com ( no prizes for guessing where I work )

Happy with a meeting at the services if that suits you,

Thanks

Stuart

Thanks, I've emailed.

If all works out, I'll let you have the Shilling for whatever I pay for it Rob.

I'd still like to see before I commit. The gulf in price between VF, EF and UNC means there is a lot of scope for disappointment.

Of course, but I like to think I can grade coins pretty well, and I'll also provide huge pictures of it.

I may even send it on approval! Assuming I buy it of course.

Of course, but I like to think I can grade coins pretty well, and I'll also provide huge pictures of it.

I may even send it on approval! Assuming I buy it of course.

And?

Sorry Rob, you're going to hate me now :(

I did buy it from Mr Gresly. An AEF example. Unfortunately the temptation to sell it the next day at the coin fair was too large, and although I didn't have it on display (with you in mind), I mentioned it to a dealer friend and he gave me a wadge of cash.

Accurately graded

Accurately graded

I'm no expert on "grading", but I think you owe Rob an apology.

Guest Guest

Every shilling has a Silver lining...

What ever will be will be etc.

I am sorry Rob.

I hate not logging in. :angry:

And also let me say in my defence: At the moment with printing costs I couldn't afford not to sell it....Had I kept it and sent it to you, only to be rejected, I would have been without the cash for at least a week or two. Then I'd have to find a new buyer, and who knows how long that would have taken.

You seemed unsure about it, and I didn't yet know you well enough to take a chance. I can tell you who bought it if you like. He may still have it, and I'll tell you what he got it for, and you can probably knock him down so that he doesn't make too much on it.